character development.

hi all, i'm lani, @ayemishelle here on wattpad ☺️

so, i'm here to talk about character development which is extremely important, for main and supporting characters. it can be frustrating to read a story in which a character is too perfect or far too problematic.

one way that you can develop a character is through an event, which is one of my go to processes. for example, in my book, my character Morgan is someone who internalizes her emotions, she doesn't like showing when she's hurt or upset or even sad. this made it kinda hard for anyone to be there for her when something was wrong. but there was an event that triggered her to change that part of herself to where she's now more expressive, and that makes it easier for her friends and family to help her deal with her problems.

it doesn't always have to be instant like that, though. characters can slowly but surely be changed by different things, a person, a trial, a job, a child, etc. also, development doesn't always have to change a character, development could simply be delving deeper into their past and finding out new things about them that make them more relatable, or more realistic.

everyone has problems and no one is perfect, so even if there are small things you want to give your characters issues. that may sound bad lol, but you wouldn't want to read about someone who never does anything wrong and is happy all the time because that's not how life is.

it doesn't have to be terrible things, like writing a cheater or an abuser or something like that. you could spin one of their positive traits even, like someone who is very independent could be extremely stubborn, someone who is very kind could be a pushover.

even if you have a character that is inherently bad, give them some life as well, motivations and aspirations in their badness lol. it's rare that someone is horrible for no reason at all, everyone has a backstory and reasons as to why they do the things that they do.

so, you don't have to make huge dents in a person to have them be a fully developed person. just give them a personality, give them a favorite movie, a least favorite food, give them likes and dislikes in general, have some things that make them tick or get on their nerves because that just how people are, even the happiest person and the most seemingly perfect person has problems, and i know i love reading about actual people and their problems.

i hope this helped you guys out a little bit! happy writing!

Written by | @ayemishelle