Chapter 6

Months before our graduation, both the teachers and the students were just busy. Louise joined the cheerleading team last Summer and Jam had set her priorities as the head of the prom committee, while I was struggling with the school paper as the Editor-In-Chief.

When did we have the time to participate in extracurricular activities? Jam is a big fan of Meg Cabot and told us to self-actualize. Louise's part-time job at a ballet studio gave her a leeway to enjoy school before the real world starts kicking us. Cheerleading seemed like a good idea for her. Jam like to be listened to so heading one of the school's anticipated parties is definitely her cup of tea.

I happened to be the Editor-in-Chief because no one wanted to. Sally, my predecessor made an open election to succeed in her position before she graduates, but no one would take it. I have been writing feature stories since the second quarter of my freshman year and I like to do so until the end. She saw me pored over my desk making my final draft for that year's final release. I was not even listening to her speech but before I could say no, she handed me the traditional EIC pin and left the office murmuring about an unfinished project that didn't exist. I looked up and saw the rest of the staff clapping their hands enthusiastically. I can see in their eyes the gratitude of me taking the big responsibility.

The President of the Student Council seems to have the easiest work out of all the organized student body organizations in the school. He already designated the tasks to the other officers at the beginning of the school year. As expected of Thomas Jacobs. When his peers listed him to run for the position, he just shrugged his shoulders like it was no big deal. Everyone voted for him. I mean, not everybody. I did not vote since nobody ran against him.

Catching up with credits needed for college, stress was prominent everywhere. That doesn't mean, fun is forgotten. The parties every weekend and even weekdays became the highlight of everybody's conversation. Well, except for me and the girls. Sometimes. Yes, surprisingly, I got invited.

I was able to create an approachable image when I was graced with Jam and Louie's friendship. And well, they're quite popular, pretty, and nice too. People began thinking that I'm human after all. But they never tried talking to me other than assignment-related questions or saying excuse me and sorry if they bumped into me. Well, that's the girl in jeans for you.

I've got 3 other names that the kids call me when they thought I'm not around. Witch (I love this one, pathetic Muggles), Giant Know-it-all (well, it's true- I'm quite tall), and the 'scariest' of them all, The-One-You-Don't-Mess-With. On our junior year, Jam overheard the sophomores telling the freshmen to steer clear out of my way, as much as possible. It sounded like a joke, but the first years believed them. That's popularity for me.

I'm neither arrogant nor rude, and I guess I'm pretty nice. I think. Louise said that it has something to do with the way I raised my eyebrows during the time Tom and I still have our active silent encounters. I guess the look that 'shudders' everyone is memorable. I honestly like the kids avoid me, most of the time. I approve an empty pathway anyway.

Two months before Senior Skip Day slash Finals Week slash Prom slash Graduation slash Senior Week, two names came up for the valedictorian bet. Unfortunately, it was named to be Thomas Jacobs and Samantha Dharts.

Our parents and friends were excited. The rest of the school, terrified. It was funny somehow; it was like a helium-filled balloon that would burst when a certain height is reached. Surprised? Yes, I was because there were numerous candidates. And I, a measly peasant got an opportunity to join the throne. Tom seemed to expect it. Well, of course, he does. I never minded rankings aside from the little competition Tom and I have. If you know what I mean.