Chapter 3: American Bad Ass

Butterflies fluttered around Bragnae's stomach as she rode in the cab on the way to Camp Foster

Butterflies fluttered around Bragnae's stomach as she rode in the cab on the way to Camp Foster. She was meeting Drake at the shooting range on his base for their next date. Bragnae hadn't shot a live weapon for a few years, but she wasn't nervous about that. A mixture of anticipation and fear filled her with each passing minute. Her attraction to Drake was undeniable, and she could barely contain her excitement to see him again, especially after last night.

However, there was still a part of her that was afraid this would be too good to be true. If her past had anything to say about it, Drake would turn out to be what she feared most in a man. Her brain was screaming logic telling her that she needed time, and that she should be careful of who she trusted. Her heart, on the other hand, was sending comforting thoughts about Drake. That she could enjoy herself with him, and let him in.

She wanted desperately to kick back the fear-based thoughts, and dream of the possibilities with Drake. He seemed so different than other guys she knew. Maybe he truly was different. Maybe he was the one to cast aside all the others and surprise her. She hoped. Bragnae sided with her heart for the day, so she could allow herself to have fun with Drake. It's time and I need this.

Her hands ran across her dark boot cut jeans as the cab pulled up to the front gate of Camp Foster. The driver rolled down her window, and she handed her military ID to a Marine standing guard. After giving Bragnae and her ID a brief, but thorough check, he handed it back and waved her through.

Although it was nearing the end of October, the weather on the island was still warm during the day. So, she pulled her hair back in a ponytail, and opted for a fitted Air Force t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes for both practicality and comfort during her shooting adventure with Drake. She also made sure to pick out the jeans that best hugged her curves just in case Drake snuck a peek.

Bragnae gazed out the window taking quiet deep breaths trying her best to calm her nerves. Camp Foster was huge. It was as if it were its own city plopped down on this little island. There were banks, shops, restaurants, and even schools. It wasn't so different from the bases she'd been stationed at, but the mere size of Camp Foster was impressive enough.

"Shageki-ba ga doko ni aru ka shitte imasu ka?" Bragnae asked, making sure the driver knew where the shooting range was.

"Hai," the driver confirmed.

"Tsureteitte kudasai," she said, telling him to take her there.

A few minutes later, the driver pulled up to a building with a sign in front of it that read Camp Foster Shooting Range.

"Arigatogozaimashita." Bragnae thanked the driver as she handed him cash for the ride.

"Doitashimashite," the driver replied.

Bragnae stepped into the sun, and closed the door to the cab as it drove away. She put on a pair of black cat-eye sunglasses as she made her way up the stairs to the entrance. She glanced around her seeing no one in sight. Looking at her watch, she was ten minutes early to the time her and Drake had agreed upon.