Chapter Thirteen

"Hey, Ai'Oon! Over here!"

Shit. Hearing his nickname called out across the restaurant, Arthit immediately regretted his decision to attend the line-mentor dinner. He hadn't intended for any of the juniors to find out about his "cute" nickname, especially not Kongpob, but he'd forgotten that Tum refused to call him anything else, and he couldn't take it back.

His heart pounding, Arthit wai-ed everyone at the table and tried to focus on his line-mentor rather than Kongpob, but he was acutely aware that the junior hadn't taken his eyes off him since he arrived.

"Come on, bro," said Arthit as he sat down. He took off his maroon shirt and, feeling somewhat embarrassed by Kongpob's attention, fought the urge to glance in his direction. "I told you not to call me Ai'Oon. Call me Arthit instead."

"Why? Your nickname is Ai'Oon. I've called you that since you were a first-year. It's become a habit."

"But I'm a third-year now, and I'm also the head hazer. That name could affect my image, you know?"

Tum chuckled, clearly not taking Arthit seriously. "Right. I forgot. You're now a third-year senior and the hazing team leader. But...the gathering activities are over, aren't they?"

"We still have the flag capturing event left."

"I see. Have you thought about what you'll do for it, yet?"

"Yes, but I can't tell you." A sly smile spread across his lips as he thought about their plans for the flag event. "All I can say is that it's going to be really tough." He paused, then said, "Well, I'm going to get more pork. Do you want anything?"

"No, thanks. Don't worry about us."

Arthit nodded and left the table, feeling a sense of relief now that he'd gotten away from Kongpob. He didn't know what he wanted to do. Acknowledging his sexual desire for the other man hadn't helped him sort out his feelings; in fact, it left him more disconcerted than before, and the stress of trying to figure it out addled his brain even further.

Part of him longed to turn the dreams into reality, but he cowered at the idea of actually pursuing the matter. Was it because Kongpob was a man? Was it because he was afraid of being rejected? Being sexually attracted to Kongpob didn't mean he liked him or wanted a romantic relationship, right? It just meant he wasn't as straight as he originally thought. Probably. He had no idea, honestly, and he didn't have the fortitude to reach a conclusion yet.

Arthit grimaced. His headache was coming back, and this time it felt far worse.

"Please let me help you," a familiar voice said. Kongpob stood next to him, smiling like he always did.

Arthit didn't respond immediately, but, after a moment, he gave Kongpob one of two small plates he'd been balancing on one hand. He shot Kongpob an apprehensive glance before turning his attention back to the food.

"I never knew your nickname is Ai'Oon."

Arthit tensed. He'd known this would happen, but the cheeky devil mentioned it so quickly that it almost caught him off guard. Truth be told, his nickname, coming from Kongpob, sounded nice. However, he didn't want anyone calling him that, especially not when he had a reputation to uphold as the head hazer. Besides, it felt too intimate for Kongpob to call him Ai'Oon. Not even his friends called him that anymore.

Arthit turned around and, glaring at him, asked, "Who said you could call me that?"

"Why not? I think Ai'Oon is a nice name, actually."

"If you keep calling me that, I'll order you to do squats right in the middle of this place. Don't tell anyone about my nickname, got it?"

Kongpob nodded, but his smile hadn't wavered. "I won't, P'Arthit." Then, once Arthit relaxed and turned his attention back to procuring pork, he asked, "Are your legs better now?"