Chapter Twenty-Six

Later that week, Arthit sat with his friends at the canteen, pretending to eat by pushing his food around his plate, and vaguely listened to their conversation. He ate one tiny bite, but it tasted like ash on his tongue—not literally, but close enough. Nothing, not even pink milk, tasted quite right anymore, and on top of losing his appetite, his body felt sluggish and heavy.

"Here, eat more veggies," said Tutah as he took a few off his plate and transferred them to Bright's, who sat on Arthit's right.

"You don't have to love me this much," replied Bright.

"Eat them."

"By the way, let's get some beer tonight."

Tutah frowned at Bright. "Have you ever invited us to do anything else? You only drink the product of grains. You should save money to buy the actual grains. Here!" He grabbed his Oishi drink, a genmai flavored green tea, and slammed it down in front of Bright. "Take in some Japanese rice"

"Should I?" Bright picked up and examined the label curiously. "You act like my mom more and more, you know? Does your family know that you're like this?"

"Like what?"

"That you're gay, you moron!"

Arthit held his fork and spoon together in one hand and watched his friends. They were both ridiculous, sometimes.

"You asshole, I can just turn you into my hubby, you know?" said Tutah. "Eat! Always asking me to drink..."

Arthit sighed heavily and turned back to his food, but he didn't eat. Instead, he just kept pushing it around on his plate, feeling a bit sick to his stomach.

"Someone's bummed, today," whispered Prem, leaning forward and gesturing his head at Arthit, who barely took notice.

"Who?" asked Bright, looking over his shoulder. "Who's bummed?"

"Him." Prem pointed at Arthit, which did catch his attention enough to draw his eyes away from his plate just as Knot joined them at the table.

"Oh, is it you?" asked Bright.

"Are you full, Arthit? You ate so little today." Knot gestured at his full plate. "You have a bloated stomach or something?"

"No, I...actually, I ate before I came here." This, of course, was a lie. Arthit had lost his appetite since he started avoiding Kongpob again.

"Really? So you're done?" Bright grabbed his food. "Then, let me have it."

Tutah slapped Bright's arm, whispering that he was stealing Arthit's food, to which Bright pointed out that he was broke. Luckily, Arthit didn't care if Bright ate his meal. At least it wouldn't go to waste.

"I didn't see you drink anything after eating," said Knot, his brows furrowed with concern. "Here. I bought it for you." He handed him a bottle of the same Oishi drink Tutah had given Bright. "You will feel refreshed."

Arthit held the bottle up, frowning at the label. "Thank you," he said. Then asked, "Is Oishi giving these out somewhere? You all bought the same brand and the same flavor."

"Why didn't you buy one for me too?" asked Bright, after watching them for a few seconds.

"You literally have one sitting in front of you."

"But you didn't buy it!"

Arthit gripped the cap and was about to open it, but stopped when he saw a familiar figure walking across the street. Kongpob... His hand fell to the bottom of the bottle, and he turned away, feeling a pressure in his chest that was difficult to ignore. Since their last conversation, Kongpob had periodically attempted to call him, but he didn't want to talk again—not yet—so he ignored him every time.