Chapter Seventeen: Zion

The nerve of Dyshawn. That's all I could manage to think as I packed up some clothes for Junior and I. I had called Robyn and told her I needed to get away from here and she didn't hesitate to say yes. Being in this house now is too much for me. It feels like it's been tainted with pure evilness and I refuse to have that around my child.

Dyshawn knew how I felt about his father. How bold and idiotic can you be to bring the man in my home that tortured and beat my mother and murdered my family? That is some sick shit and I can't find the reason to even open my mouth and ask Dyshawn why. I know all that's going to come out of his mouth is lies.

I heard a knock at the front door and I hurried to open it so it wouldn't wake Junior. I had just got him to sleep and I don't need him to be awoke while I'm doing this moving around. Robyn greeted me with a concerned smile and embraced me in a tight hug.

"Hey girl."

"What's up, Rob?"

I opened the door wider and let her come in. She looked around the house like everyone does when they come in. It doesn't look like much on the outside but I used a lot of my decorating skills on the inside. I wanted to put as much of my mother in here as I could. Her house will forever be home to me and I wanted to make it feel as much like that as possible. Not a day goes by that I don't miss her. It's exact times like this when I wish I could just take me and Junior and spend a couple days with her. Your mother is supposed to be your safe haven. She's the one you go to when you being grown just isn't enough. When all you can do is cry and ask yourself how did you get to this point. It will never be the same and I hadn't realized how much I needed her until now.

"This place is dope as fuck."

"It's nothing, just threw some things here and there."

"So, what was the emergency? Where is Dice?"

"Who knows, Rob, and I honestly don't care."

"Aw, trouble in paradise?"

"He brought his so-called father into my home, Rob."

"What? That nigga is dead."

"So we all thought but I looked dead into the man's eyes that ruined my mother's life and I'm sure had her killed."

"What in his rabbit ass mind told him that was even close to being okay?"

"I just need to get away from here, Rob. Just let me and Junior stay at your place until I can wrap my mind around all this."

"Girl, you and my nepnep can stay as long as and you need to, you should know that."

Robyn gave me a playful nudge and grabbed some of the bags I packed. Robyn never failed me. She's always here when I need her and I know I couldn't find that type of loyalty in no other person. She's more than a best friend, she is more like a sister.

We packed everything in her small car and I strapped Junior into his seat. Before I could get into the car, Dyshawn pulled up behind it. And of course, his father was in the passenger side.

"Where you going, Zion?"

"Away."

"Where the fuck are you taking my son?"

"Why do you even give a damn! You made your choice."

"Zion ... please don't do this."

"Just leave us alone. Go be with your lying ass father you love so dearly."

I turned my back to him and went to open the passenger side door. Dyshawn grabbed my arm and griped it so I couldn't get away.

"You are not leaving me and taking my son!"