13- RELATIVE OF TRUTH

The present day was beset with an extravagant shower of rain; the water droplets had been falling with an intense ferocity casting brilliant shades of light whenever the sudden rays of the hidden sun seemed to strike them.
Theodora had spent the entirety of the morning in her bedroom by the side of the window, bored and listless. She traced the patterns the raindrops had made on the glass and sighed in exasperation. Grindelwald had ordered her to spend the day in her room so she could recover properly to which she had argued that she was perfectly alright but he for some reason had been adamant to put her on bed-rest justifying his actions by saying something along the lines of, "I can't having you falling like a dilapidated building during a mission. Better to exhaust your indisposition than cause hindrances during work."

After that, he'd had the final word and wouldn't hear of it anymore. So, Theodora had spent the entire morning holed inside waiting for the day to end, but regrettably it was still just noon. Just as she was about to drift off to sleep once again a familiar figure entered the room, "Th-Theodora?"

She turned around to face the voice and set her eyes upon the wizard standing by her door, "Abernathy?", she managed with a small smile, "Come in."

The American wizard walked slowly into the room, hiding the small smile that was creeping up his face, "I hope I'm not causing any intrusion."

Theodora laughed lightly and shook her head, "Oh no, absolutely not. I'll be glad of the company for a while." Abernathy walked closer and placed himself next to the British witch on the window sill.

"I hope you're feeling alright."

"Much better, thank you. I'm just so terribly bored, I don't understand why he's kept me here! I have got nothing to do except for sitting around and being unproductive- I  absolutely hate it."

Abernathy laughed cautiously and ran a hand through his hair, "Well, his actions are not quite fathomable; what he does and why he does it is only known to him."

"I suppose you're right." Theodora sighed again as she leaned against the window and looked outside, observing the trees ruffling their leaves violently with the force of the wind, the people struggling to make it home or find a shelter to shield them from the rain and the sky slowly turning into black.

Idiots.

She thought,

Why would anyone want to hide from rain?

"Theodora?" A feminine voice called from the other end of the hallway followed by the steady clatter of heels on a wooden floor. A young girl of seven was sitting in front of the large Victorian style glass window that had taken most of the wall-space. The girl looked outside curiously with eyes like clear-cut emeralds, her little hands tracing the patterns of the raindrops.

"Darling, what are you doing?" The woman behind her crouched down to her level, pushing her short hair away from her face.

"I want to go outside," She whirled around to face her accomplice, "Oh mum please? please can I go outside and play in the rain?"

Her mother laughed lightly and kissed her cheek lovingly, "Dora, it's raining too heavily for you to play. You're going to catch a cold, love."

"Oh mum, I won't- I promise I won't. Please can I go? Please?" 

Her mother eyed her with orbs identical to hers and sighed, "Alright. But don't come running back if you get scared by the lightening or the thunder,hmm?"

Theodora grinned cheekily and stood up from the floor, "But mum, that's the best part."

"Oh is it?"  The little witch nodded and took her mother's hand leading her to the  large window and pointed upwards as a brilliant streak of lightning shot its way through the sky, "Dad told me that lightning occurs when two dragons breathe fire with each other from high up in the sky to proclaim their love. The rain gives it a different form so the fire doesn't burn the clouds."