14-ESPIONAGE

"So let's start from the start, primarily why you're in Paris and what you meant by Dumbledore's plan."

Theodora sighed with exasperation, massaging her temples so fervently that one may think she hoped to figure out a way out of the hatchet's nest she was buried in, "Fine. But you have to promise me that you will not at any point freak out. I know it may seem outlandish but you have to will yourself to remain composed, please."

The brunette seated in front of her graced her with but a simple nod of the head as he yet again pushed  back the pesky green creature climbing out of his breast-pocket.

The Tudor witch pushed back the few stray strands of her raven hair falling to her face. She folded her hands, resting her chin on them as she registered a particularly deep sigh, "You I believe are aware that Gellert Grindelwald is currently in Paris looking for Credence Barebones?"

"Yes, the news is not exactly a secret."
Newt managed as the temporary resident of his breast-pocket now hung by a loose thread of his coat. He picked him up and held him close to his face, eyeing him as a parent would their child when they were doing something they didn't approve of.

"Newton!" Theodora barked bristly causing the younger Scamander to quickly stuff the creature back in thereby earning a disgruntled groan from within his coat.

"Yes...sorry."

"Do you have to bring the bowtruckle along everywhere? Can't you just leave him with the the others inside that suitcase of yours?"

Newt scratched the back of his unkempt brown hair which now seemed a shade lighter as the rays of sun streamed clear after the recent shower, "Believe me, that's all I want for him. But Pickett's a little more sensitive than the others, he thinks they are all going to gang up against him."

His last statement was followed by a tiny green head poking out and blowing raspberries at the both of them. Newt sighed and stuffed him in again, "Right, in you go mister. Sorry Thea, please continue."

Theodora watched the uncanny pair with an amused expression, letting out a small chuckle, "Alright. Well, Albus conjectured that Grindelwald would go looking for Credence the moment the news of his survival was out. We don't know what he exactly needs Credence for but it doesn't take a genius to guess it's for something odious. So.... he well, sent me here to investigate."

Newt leaned back in his chair, his Caribbean eyes contorted in a puzzled manner, "What you mean to say is..."

Theodora opened and closed her mouth in discomfort as though the words that were about to come out had formed a foul taste in her mouth, "Long story short, I'm spying on Gellert Grindelwald."

It took several moments for her words to actually reach Newt and only when he actually accepted the truth of them did he accost his registration in way that was most anticipated by Theodora, "What?"

"Look Newt, I know how this sounds but-"

"Have you completely lost control of your senses?! What in Merlin' s name made you think this was a good idea?And Dumbledore? He let you go through with this?"

"Newt for the love of Merlin, keep your voice down! I know how you feel but this was the most viable way-"

"Viable? viable? You are risking your life for quite possibly no reason at all and you expect me to be calm about it?"

Theodora let out a tired breath of air, placing her head in her hands reflecting upon her predicament and realizing alltogether what Newt was conveying, "You don't think I knew it was going to be dangerous when I agreed to do this? You don't think I am aware of the fact that my cover could be blown at any given moment? I know what my situation entails, Newt and yes, I am terrified every single moment of the day when he's around me but there was no other way. Someone had to take the risk, because if one life ensures the safety of thousands of muggles and wizards alike, then I'm happy to be that one."