Prologue

Yoongi POV

"Yoongi, sweetie?"

I look up blankly to the nurse stood in my doorway, not bothering to respond.

"Your brother's here to pick you up. You're going home today, remember?" She says gently with a hopeful smile.

Again, I don't respond, simply hopping down off of the hospital bed before walking in her direction. Her smile falls a bit at my lack of verbal use, but she doesn't say anything. Instead, she simply leads me out of the room and down varies hallways before we reach an elevator. The way down to the first floor is completely silent, though it's not much of a change compared to how things have been between me and most of the nurses for the last two years now.

When we finally get to the right floor, she steps out first, leading me down some more halls until we finally reach the lobby. Looking around the room, I feel conflicted when I spot my older brother. He bites his lip nervously as he makes his way over to us, and the nurse leads us back away from the lobby and into a side room nearby it.

"All of the paperwork is filled out. Am I good to take him home now?" Geumjae asks nervously as he looks across the desk to the nurse. I keep my gaze on the table that stands between us, knowing I won't be interacting much in this conversation anyways.

"Essentially, yes. I just wanted to go through some debriefing before we released him to you." She answers calmly. My brother sighs from beside me, running a hand through his hair.

"Okay." He mumbles under his breath, shifting in his seat a bit. I feel his eyes shift over to me for a moment before returning to the nurse in front of us, but I don't bother moving my gaze over to him in turn.

I don't care. It doesn't really matter. None of this does. It hasn't mattered for two and a half years now.

"I-I'm not sure what any of the other nurses have told you about your brother in the time that he's been here. Unfortunately, we've not been able to make much progress with him since he was admitted two years ago. We've done everything we can with him in terms of trying to get some progress. We've given him ample amounts of food, we've tried to get him into exercising, we've given him books to read and notebooks for him to write in, we've sent him to our best therapist here. He's not shown much improvement at all though. The only person he's begun talking with was the therapist, just a few months ago. Around that time, we finally got him to quit trying to catch things on fire as well. He's still not eating nearly as much as he should be, only very small portions for lunch and dinners, but it's enough to keep him going. It's the best that we've been able to do though." The nurse explains, giving my brother the rundown of what all's gone on in the last two years.

"What about his sleeping? Has that gotten any better at all?" Geumjae asks, still sounding somewhat urgent.

"He's sleeping somewhere around four to four and a half hours per night. It's the best we've been able to do, even with medication." She informs him.

My brother sighs from beside me, rubbing his hands over his face once more.

"I'm sorry we couldn't do more. You're free to take him when you're ready." She says before walking out of the room.

"You ready? Do you have everything?" Geumjae asks with a sigh as he looks over at me.

"I never had anything to start with." I mutter quietly.