Chapter Twelve

"No, I'm not going."

"Axel, you have to go to physiotherapy, I will help." Sophie reasoned.

"With what? I'm not going to walk again, there is no bloody point of me going."

"Dr Ian suggested it would help with your muscles and bones."

"What's the point of that?! They're dead weight. Just buzz off, leave me alone!"

"Axel, " Sophie pinched the bridge of her nose, "whatever..."

He was about to turn back to his book when the door was swung open.

"I already told you, I'm not going!" He yelled, slamming his book down on the table.

He was suddenly spun around, to see Lola's angry face a few inches away from him.

"Listen here, " Lola growled, "They are both trying so hard to deal and cope with you, but you are behaving like a jackass. They are both worried about you. Dr Ian suggested it because he thought it would also get your spirits up. I know it's hard and difficult, okay? But you have to try, or I will personally drag you there, myself. And you know I can do that."

It was quiet for a few seconds before Axel finally gave in.

"Fine."

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

"Alright, can you feel that?" Dr. Rivers asked as she bent Axel's leg.

"No," he grumbled.

He was paralyzed from the waist down, why would he feel anything?

Dr. Rivers was nice, but Axel knew she was asking for the impossible.

"I want you to close your eyes and imagine you're at the beach, your toes wriggling in the sand," Dr Rivers asked.

Axel did what he was told.

"I want you to open your eyes while still imagining, and try to move your real toes." She ordered.

Axel did what he was told again.

Nothing happened, no matter how hard he tried.

"This is useless, nothing is going to happen." He grumbled as he slammed the mat underneath him.

"Axel, why don't you take a break, go grab a drink?" Dr. Rivers asked.

It felt more like an order.

Axel wheeled himself out of the room and towards the drinking fountain.

He stopped and headed for the exit.

It was pointless coming. It was only going to make him feel even more useless. He was about to open the door when a man stepped in front of him.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm leaving, please move out of my way."

"All sessions begin at an O'clock time, it's 4:43."

Axel huffed and glared away from the nosy man.

"You're new."

"Is it that obvious?" Axel hissed.

"Well, I haven't seen you here before. I'm Jack."

"Axel."

"Why do you want to leave, Axel?"

"Because it's pointless being here. I'm not going to walk again. I don't see the point."

"We all think it's pointless at first."

The man looked perfectly fine.

"What's wrong with you?" Axel sneered.

"I can't move my arms, I can move my fingers and forearms a little, but it's kind of funny when I walk and go out in public. My mom helps me, so I still live with her, it's kind of embarrassing." Jack replied.

Axel followed Jack as he led him around the hallway.

"Were you always like this, paralyzed in the arms?" Axel asked.

"No. Up till the age of ten, I was a normal kid. Then I got brain cancer, it was fast and strong, made me incapable of speaking and movement. When I was thirteen, I finally bet it, but it had left its scars. At fifteen, I thought about doing it. Luckily, I had my family and friends around me to support me.

All Axel had done was push people away.

"At the age of twenty, I was no longer paralytic, except for my arms. At the age of thirty, here I am."

"It's been ten years, and you are still trying?" Axel scoffed.

"There is a fine line between damaged and destroyed, my friend. You're here because of your legs?"

"Yes, they're practically dead weight, I can't feel anything."

"Severely damaged, not destroyed, my friend, I believe you will be able to feel your legs again."

"I would give anything to walk right now."

"Would you give up your arms? Would you give up your family? Would you give up the chance to speak and still laugh?"

"No... I wouldn't."

"Be grateful for what you still have."

"Ah, Axel there you are, I couldn't find you near the drinking fountain." Dr. Rivers said as she walked up to them.

"Dr Rivers," Jack greeted.

"Mr Blue." Dr. Rivers greeted back.

"Your last name's Blue?" Axel questioned.

"Yep. Jack Blue, that's me," Jack smiled.

"Axel, you only have ten minutes of your session left, if you still want to use it?" Dr. Rivers asked.

Jack looked at Axel and grinned.

"Sure," Axel said as he wheeled himself towards the room, "Let's go."