Chapter Nine

"No..."

Axel felt like he was crammed in a small box and it just kept shrinking and shrinking, it kept suffocating him.

"No, no, no. God please no."

Sophie had the same broken and shattered look.

He would never walk again. He would never feel the ground, the carpet floor in his bedroom, the grass in the garden, the sand at the beach, the cold tiles of the kitchen when he got up early for track.

"No. This can't happen it can't." He buried his head in his hands

He would never walk again. He would never move a foot again, not even a toe. He would never run again, he would never jog again, he would never sprint again.
"Axel..." Sophie grabbed his hand.

"Get out." He huffed

"Axel, you'll get through this. We'll get through this."

"I said, get out!" He growled, pulling his hand away.

"Sweety..."

"Just get out, get out, LEAVE!" He cried.

Sophie got up and almost ran out of the room.

Lies.

He just couldn't feel his legs because of the painkillers, or his legs were still asleep. Dr Ian had told him so, he was a doctor, he knew better.

He moved the covers back and hovered his feet over the edge of the bed.

They were lying. They had to be.

Axel hopped off the bed to only fall onto the cold, hard floor.

It hit him like reality.

"No, no, no. They're lying, they're lying!" He wheezed as he knocked the table.

The vase of bright yellow flowers smashed onto the floor, shattering into a million tiny pieces.

He would never be able to join in physical education class anymore. He wouldn't be able to run track anymore. He couldn't walk, not even take one tiny step. He couldn't even feel the cold tiles underneath him.

"Axel?"

"Get out!"

"I'm not going anywhere."

He recognized the familiar black hair straight away.

"It's okay, Axel," Belle said as she knelt down.

"No, it's not, I– I can't do anything!" He sobbed in between wheezes.

"You need to calm down Axel, just breathe, okay, just breathe." She hushed.

Axel listened to her and tried to control his breathing. Belle gently helped Axel get back into bed.

"Gosh, you're heavy you know?" She joked.

He didn't have the energy to respond.

Belle bent down to clean up the pieces of the broken vase.

"Zaria wanted me to give you this." Belle smiled as she held up a cupcake.

Axel stared blankly at the yellow cupcake with a grey butterfly on it. He tried to turn away from Belle, but his numb legs wouldn't let him, so he just faced the opposite way.

He could hear Belle sit down in the chair beside him.

"I can't walk."

It was a while till Belle responded.

"I know. I was told by your father."

Axel scoffed at that his idiot of a father hadn't shown up to see him.

"I can't be on the track team anymore."

"I know."

"I can't swim anymore."

"I know."

"I can't do anything."

"You're still here talking to me aren't you?"

"I... can't dance with you anymore." He croaked.

Belle didn't respond to that.

"You'll get through this Axel."

He didn't think he would.

"I would like to be alone, please." He whispered.

It was a few seconds before Belle nodded and left him alone in the dark hospital room.