Chapter Nineteen

Axel heard the click of his door opening, followed by the sound of pittering feet.

He knew what was going to happen next,  it had always surprised him, like the last two years.

"Wake up!" Zaria shouted as she jumped up and down on Axel's bed.

"Happy birday!" Zander shouted as he jumped up and down on Axel's stomach.

Since they first learned to walk, Zaria and Zander were the first ones to wish him a happy 'birday'.

"Zander, get off!" Axel grumbled, whacking him with his pillow, still half asleep.

"It is eleven o'clock, get up, birthday boy." Lola sang as she flicked the light switch on and off.

"I am up! I'm up." Axel said as he raised his hands in defeat.

Zander and Zaria giggled as they ran out the door.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Everyone was already sitting at the dining room table when Axel wheeled himself into the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" His family cheered.

On the table, there was a large pile of pancakes, drenched in chocolate sauce. It was a family tradition to have a birthday cake that wasn't a cake. The tradition confused a lot of people. Axel always had birthday pancakes.

"Open ours first!" Zander and Zaria said as they pushed the present into Axel's lap.

The blue wrapping paper barely wrapped around the present. Zaria and Zander, with the aid of Sophie, had given Axel a new blue jumper, two new video games, a homemade birthday card covered in green glitter, and a pair of shoes.

Axel noticed his parents glare at each other when he picked up the running shoes.

"Thank you," Axel said as he hugged them.

"Read," Zander said, pointing at the card.

Inside the card, there were a bunch of scribbles.

"Why don't you read it for me?"

"It sayed, happy birday, Akcle, you favwrite brother." Zander read.

Axel was his only brother.

"Happy birthday, little brother." Lola teased.

"You know that one day, I will be taller than you."

Lola had given him a new book, a packet of socks and a bunch of candy, which mainly consisted of sour candy, Axel's favorite.

"Here you go, Master Axel," Monty said as he handed him his gift.

A new pair of earphones.

"That is so we no longer have to listen to your horrible music."

And a packet of strawberry flavoured gum.

"Surely you have gotten tired of mint-flavoured chewing gum."

"Yes, I have actually, thank you."

"Happy birthday, Axel." His parents said as they handed him his presents.

It was another book, a bunch of much-needed clothes, a new watch, and the blueprints for an elevator.

"I'm getting my old room back?" Axel questioned looking at the prints.

"You're getting your room back." His father smiled.

"It means I won't have to carry you up and down the stairs," Lola called out.