Chapter Thirteen

"Afternoon Monty." Axel greeted as he got into the van.

Axel's wheelchair wouldn't fit in the normal car, so the family also now had a van.

"You seem to be in a cheery mood, master Axel." Monty smiled as they drove off.

"Yep," Axel said as he flicked through the radio stations.

"Is that chewing gum in your mouth, master Axel?"

"Yes. Is that okay?"

"Ah... Sure, that is okay." Monty nodded, confused with the sudden change, "how was it?"

"It was fine. I mean, I couldn't feel anything obviously, but it's only my first session."

"You want to go back?"

"Yes. The nerves in my legs were severely damaged, not destroyed. I will be able to feel them again someday."

"It's good to have you back, master Axel." Monty smiled.

"Is my father home?"

Axel figured he might as well make amends with his father, or try to.

"He left about the same time you did to deal with a fire on West Avenue."

"Again? There was a fire there a couple of weeks ago."

"Yes, but that area is that rather sketchy, is it not?"

"True," Axel said as he settled on a radio station.

"Master Axel, please change the station, I do not want to be listening to this rubbish," Monty grumbled.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Axel was looking at his back. The scar ran straight down his spine; it started levelled with his collar bone and ended where his ribs ended. If he looked hard enough, Axel could see a faint blue glow, which meant the device was working. A bunch of microwires were attached to his spine, one or two each connected to parts of his brain. Axel's whole body would be paralyzed and his heart would be in trouble.
Luckily, the device was bio fueled; it ran on Axel's body, and his alone. His father had put one of his prototype suits in him, but since it was underneath his skin, Axel couldn't activate it, or it would rip through the scar on his back.

Axel heard a car stop at the front of the house. He glimpsed through the curtains to see Lola get dropped off by a man driving a BMW.

She then kissed the man on the cheek. Axel recognized the man.

It was Dr Ian. Axel wheeled himself from his bedroom to the front door when Lola entered the house.

"How long have you been seeing him?" Axel asked.

"Axel!" Lola jumped.

He just smiled at her. It was payback for when she scared him.

"Um... We made it official at the party," she admitted.

"Cool." Axel nodded.

"I'm sorry, I should have asked if it was okay with you? He was one of your doctors."

"It's fine. You don't need my permission to date someone, Lola."

"So, you are not going to blackmail him? Like what you did with the last two?" Lola questioned.

It was the last four, actually, but she only knew about the last two.

"Sure, if you'll help me do one thing," Axel said.

"And what is that?" Lola asked in an annoyed tone.

"Help me get up the stairs."