Chapter Eleven

Sophie woke up to Zander kicking her in the stomach, yet again. He had come in last night because he had a nightmare, yet again.

She gently nudged him over and glanced at the clock.

3:47 AM.

"Honey, can you take Zander back to his bed?" Sophie mumbled, tapping John's pillow.

He wasn't there.

"John?" She questioned as she flicked the lamp on.

When John was called in for any type of work, at this time of night it was normally fieldwork, he would always leave a note. That way Sophie wouldn't worry if she woke up.

There was no note this time.

Sophie carefully got up, hoping to not disturb Zander, and went to go find John.

She never had gotten used to the mansion. It's old style and cold tiles were like a labyrinth at times. It was different from her old apartment.

Sophie found John in his study. He was looking at the old painting of his father above the burning fireplace. The scotch was also out.

He never had the scotch out unless he got back from a big complicated business meeting, or he was deep in thought.

"John, how long have you been up? What's wrong?" Sophie asked, stepping into the study.

"Am I a bad father?"

"No, John," Sophie said as her expression softened.

"Well, it seems like it." He sighed, swirling the ice cubes around in his glass.

"You're not, John. Look at Lola, she's turned out perfect, Zander wants to be just like you, Zaria wants to marry you and Axel. . . he's just confused and scared." She replied taking his glass away from him.

"What do we do? How am I suppose to father him, Sophie? My father wasn't there for me. What am I supposed to say to him? Am I giving him enough advice? What advice am I suppose to give? Am I supposed to be stricter? Am I supposed to be softer on him? Am I expecting too much from him? Am I expecting too little?"

"You are doing just fine, honey." She said as she put the half-empty bottle away.

"I didn't visit him in the hospital, I was afraid that he was angry with me, but I made it so much worse. It's all my fault." John said as he rubbed his head in his hands.

"No, it's not," Sophie said as she sat on the arm of the chair.

"Yes, it is. William attacked Axel; not because of Glitch. Because he's a Cooper, he's my son. He could have attacked me, but he poisoned and paralyzed Axel. Now he can't walk, he can't even go upstairs. He can't walk, swim, dance or run anymore. He doesn't want to go back to school, he's afraid of how the other children will react." John grumbled.

"John, look at me, it's not your fault," Sophie said as she grabbed John's face. "Now, say that it's not your fault."

"It's not my fault." he sighed.

"Our boy is just afraid and angry at the world, he'll come around with our help," Sophie said as she hugged John.

"Do you remember taking this photograph?" John asked, picking up one of the photographs from his desk.

"It was taken about three years ago, Zander and Zaria were just born. You sat in your big desk chair, holding them, Lola calmly sat on one of the arms of the chair and was yelling at Axel to stop swinging around on the chair, or he will wake up the babies." She smiled.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"What would I do without you?"

"You probably would have bled out in the closet." She yawned.

"That's an old story."

"Come back to bed." She said as she kissed his forehead, "before Zander wakes up and realizes we've left."