Chapter 9

Bria runs into her room and slams the door, which the loud echo announces her presence. As the socialites flood the hall, she doesn't want to risk them prying into her mind and picking her apart. Amy undid a lot of glue that held Bria together; a state where the redhead becomes unstable around a large group of people. So, she lets the room envelop her into its sanctuary, and leaves her to the task at hand.

Rebecca looks over her shoulder as she ties her sneakers. She plainly sees the hot mess that her roommate is but lost as to how to help. As she straightens out her new tracksuit, she nods towards Bria, but nothing more.

Bria knows she deserves that nod after this morning, but her mind floods with more thoughts than she can individually process. So, she takes a chance and opens up.

"Hey, Rebecca, a question for you," Bria utters out as Rebecca turns around in surprise.

"She speaks!" Rebecca performs her famous pastor imitation, which isn't a stretch considering her father. "Hallelujah, the silent treatment ends!"

Rebecca's theatrics and colorful personality remain a much-needed source of comedy, which Bria couldn't help but laugh. Some ladies on campus come across as drabby bores, so this roommate is preferable any day. Rebecca takes a few moments to compose herself, and signals to Bria that she's ready. A deep breath later, Bria unleashes what's on her mind.

"How long have you known Eric?"

It feels like an obvious question because the picture on the bookcase suggests lifelong friends. Like the sketch Amy drew, a photo captures Eric and Rebecca being happy goofs and enjoying the day.

"Only like almost all my life," Rebecca responds as she also looks at the picture and chuckles. "Yeah, he's quirky, but a good guy for the most part. The rest of the time he's a dork."

"So, if he stares at a woman?"

An examination of Bria's body language as the question comes out causes Rebecca to giggle at the implication. A little blush of the cheeks and the nervous look on Bria's face tells her that something about Eric sparks her the right way. So, Rebecca sits down and pats a seat next to her.

"C'mon, Auntie Rebecca wants to talk," she says before making a disgusting face. "That sounds so wrong, so let's go with sister."

Bria giggles as she sits down and looks at her roommate with interest.

"Eric is awkward around women he likes," Rebecca starts off with before thinking deeper. "Unlike Neil, he has no intention of treating ladies like meat."

Bria is no stranger to how Neil behaves, but she trembles at the contemplation of how her roommate knows. She wishes she could save women from the man's cruelty, but he's too strong for her. Not just physically, but also magically.
Then her mind trails to happier possibilities of Rebecca and Eric as more than friends as they blaze through the streets in cheer. The picture jumps out of the frame and makes her realize what a cute couple they are. However, Rebecca just shakes her head and laughs.

"No, I'm more of a sister, and he's not my type," Rebecca tells her before composing her next thought. "Eric's a sweet guy but has the social skills of the devil's anus."

Suddenly, the image of the Devil bending over and farting out social skills hit the redhead's mind. She bursts into an uncontrolled fit of giggles as she watches Eric endure one social epic fail after another.

"So, he's polite most of the time?" Bria asks honestly which Rebecca nods.

So far, the questions have been tame, but only because Bria has trouble admitting her feelings. When she thinks back to the senior cycle of her secondary education, different boys had her on their arms, but she cannot recall feeling anything for them. It felt like the young woman was going through the motions rather than being in love. So, she doesn't know how to address this feeling.