Chapter 3

Hours later, Eric startles himself awake as the sun shines on his face. Last night flows through his mind, which feels far outside of reality. There was a conversation during the freshman year of high school where Rebecca was explicit that she isn't interested in him. He considers her incredibly attractive, so he assumes he had an odd wet dream about his best friend.

However, she's never acted like that before. After weighing in the facts that Eric knows about his best friend, the conclusion is a weird dream and nothing more, but he wasn't going to get anything done by sitting in the library all day. After returning the book, he sets off in the hope that the day will be less confusing.

Andrei is still in the same spot he was in when the swimmer fell asleep. Fortunately for his boss, he doesn't need much sleep and can stand sentry as long as it takes. However, he used his time well by reading some exciting ideas about sex, which he hopes to try out soon.

The dorm halls fill with students leaving for class or practice, but Rebecca stepping out with her tracksuit in shambles catches Eric by surprise. While she straightens herself out, it takes him only a moment to realize that last night happened. He runs up to her to try to talk, but she immediately smacks him before storming away. He rubs his stinging jaw as he enters his room.

As the hall light illuminates the room, he fusses around, looking for clothes as he contemplates why Rebecca's upset. While he admits he didn't handle it well, there wasn't a clear sign of what last night was either. All he knows is that Neil instigated it and hides under the blankets.

"Dude, light!"

The mixed feelings towards Neil come from the contrast of behavior between their first meeting to the pool building. Nevertheless, the swimmer quickly changes out of the sweats and into decent clothing for a morning round of classes. However, he takes his time in gathering his book to increase the annoyance of his roommate. After assembling the bag, he walks out of the door and slams it for good measure.

After leaving the building, he spots Rebecca, in the corner of the Minerva Ltd building, looking around while trying to keep her track coat closed. Despite wanting to approach her, Eric just watches her while she dials her phone. With her swimsuit ruined and tracksuit not in better shape, Rebecca does her best to avoid peeping toms. More than that, the last few hours are still a foggy memory, but right now she prays the person she calls picks up the phone.

"Hi, would you mind bringing me a change of clothes and my toiletry kit?" she asks. "Thanks, you're a sweetheart."

Although she's only known her roommate for a few hours, a kind aura reflects off her, and this act of kindness confirms it. Bria didn't have to pick up the phone and say yes, but she comes out a few moments later anyway.

While concerned for Rebecca, Eric's focus shifts to the redhead that he recognizes from her enticing scent and appearance. However, her name still eludes him, even though his best friends know her, which doesn't surprise him. Rebecca always had an outgoing personality that made fast friends with people, which explains the two ladies hugging and walking off. So, at least hell hasn't frozen over now. He moves from the wall to head to class to worry about life, the universe, and everything else in between.

The lecture holds a small group of sixteen nervous freshmen, with whom Eric can relate to the anxieties of not knowing what to expect. Although he's a sophomore in the first-year composition class, the same turmoil exists for all students on their first day, which he feels tenfold after focusing on core courses last year at his father's behest. Now, he enters the lion's den with the knowledge of what to expect of his writing because he knows Tracy's stringent standards after helping him last year.

Perched in the top row, the Romanian stares down at him. Despite the dark aura still present, he seems friendly enough, but the enticing scent captures Eric attention and draws him towards the lovely redhead in the front row. She confines her raging crimson locks in an up-do and focuses on the book.