Chapter 24

After carrying Rebecca inside and laying her on the couch, Lily works around with a blanket to inspect different wounds and clean them the best she can. However, there is only so much she can do with how savage her attack was. Although Neil is a suspect, the lack of supernatural residue shows a mundane crime, which limits the lust fae's options.

Lily grimaces at the thought and pulls out ointment from her kit. She remembers the pluck of the blonde despite the dire circumstances of the funeral, which angers her that something so awful happened to someone so bright. The life within Rebecca shows with the glowing aura, and some malevolent fae decides to tarnish that light. A sword lays nearby that unique for Lily to use, and she resists the desire to challenge the puca. Although she isn't a fighter, this insult to life is beyond anything she tolerates.

However, she shares that anger when Bria enters and sees her roommate. A surge of heat fills the room with her emotion running between upset and angry. Although the two had a fight earlier, Lily hopes to keep her fellow redhead calm, but then Fio walks over and raises an eyebrow at the blonde.

"Great, I've got to take care of another one."

Lily blinks at her sister's crassness, but she is used to words coming out that no one expects. Since she is fully aware that Fio isn't a cold-hearted bitch, she suspects that her sister meant that another person that needs help as well as Bria and Eric. However, the gift of saying crass things and having it flow okay belong to Fio alone, so Lily carefully constructs what she says next.

"Nothing time and rest cannot heal," she diagnoses. "The police must intervene as it's a mortal crime."

"How conveniently unhelpful, Lily!" Bria scoffs.

Although the remark stings at the lust fae's core, it isn't unexpected. To an average person, it thoroughly seems like Lily is punting Rebecca's problem off to someone else, and she realizes that Bria doesn't fully understand why Neil chooses mundane methods to commit horrors. Unfortunately, the sisters are fully aware of the damage of involvement, which suggests one possible motive for the Puca's action.

"There are consequences when supernatural creatures interfere with mortal affairs."

However, inaction makes her ill as well, so Lily stares at Rebecca to figure out how to deal with the immediate problem of the blonde's injuries. Accords and rules prevent quite a few actions from taking place, but she decides that Rebecca is their responsibility. She looks up to her sister for guidance, and Fio nods towards Bria. The sisters connect for a moment, and Lily knows what to do.

"There is a way you can help, Bria," Lily softly speaks. "You can self-heal because of fire, but you also can extend it to others."

While Lily guesses about her friend's ability, Bria shows doubt in it, but the hostess tries to instruct with a positive tone.

"You'll be supercharging her own healing."

Lily stands up and walks over to her sister, and both watch Bria approach her roommate. As the pyro kneels and takes Rebecca's hand, she strokes the blond strands with gentleness, but Fio immediately sees the hesitancy.

"Think like a fae!"

The loudness of the pale woman's words catches the pyro by surprise, but something deep inside of her listens carefully. Ever since her powers awakened, there always seems to be someone else in her soul. Like her body shares two distinct personalities, which scares the hell out of the pyro.

"It's okay, sweetie."

Bria looks to her side, expecting Lily but instead sees her mum kneeling against her.