Chapter 2

Griffin Hospital used to be a premier medical facility in Franklin County, but the First Aid Butcher massacre led to its ultimate downfall. Despite the condemned status, Ben's new benefactor forces him to work here where he gingerly walks down the halls checking the generators and portable lamps. The floor creaks loudly as he grumbles along.

The only bright spot in such a desolate area is Xenobiologist Aida Ruescher, but even she questions the suitability of the field for professional research. A healthy fair-skinned woman in professional research attire shows a severe contrast towards the mucky appearance of Ben in filthy BDUs. The only redeeming quality of the job is Emily's abilities, which piques her interests to new levels.

However, Ben's foul mood spreads like wildfire as he snatches the file out of Aida's hand and throws it down the hall. The fury of the tantrum isn't new since it occurs daily, as if he's a raging ogre. A deep breath calms her mind to carry out something today.

"Problem?"

His murderous stare meets her inquiry, which makes her question herself about the job. His funding is suspicious at best, and she found it on the black market. However, it was lucrative enough to pursue her study on the biology of ghosts despite a lack of credible research. For now, she tolerates him with the patience of a long, slow-burning wick.

"This place is wrong," Ben growls.

The statement catches her by surprise due to the lack of paranormal existence in the halls. Despite the chaos and carnage of the assault, the only thing that here are the bloodstains, blown out walls, and the stench of death. However, she finds the site a supernatural dead-zone because Emily doesn't show up on instruments.

"Haven't seen any evidence of ghosts," she responds to yet another murderous stare. "This was the site of the First Aid Butcher massacre."

He doesn't seem to care about that detail as he rolls his eyes, which she prepares for his next outlandish remarks. After grunting like a Neanderthal, he looks around the area and huffs.

"This place isn't tactically sound!"

Disgust fills Aida to the brim after he uses military terms. Her brothers served in different branches, and they only use words compared to their position, which makes her employer a cheap copy with buzzwords. A preliminary background check didn't show any military or law enforcement background for him, which makes her wonder what his training is. Since his antics have grown more unstable, her goal is to prevent Emily from harm.

"Our sponsor wants us out of the way to study the specimens."

Aida tries to keep a rational mind in this operation. Even though it wasn't legal, the discoveries could change the understanding of supernatural creatures. However, she spends effort in trying to avoid the bullish tactics from getting out of control.

"I prefer to make America great again by getting rid of these freaks!"

The rhetoric reminds Aida of her grandfather's stories about escaping Nazi Germany, where her great-grandfather performed sick experiments. Every day, she feels her soul sunder when he speaks, but still stays to protect their human subject.

"Her skin hardens, which makes thing difficult," Aida recites from the notes spread across the floor. "I subdued her with a potent oral mix..."

The blank stare on his face reminds her of a proverbial dim bulb, which means words were flying over his head.

"Based on the footage, she can produce micro volcanic eruptions."

Ben stares in shock.

"Kill her now!"