Chapter 17

Arriving at the club's crime scene, Tobias examines the surroundings in an unofficial capacity. Although he searches for Eric, curiosity struck him with the energy around the place, which almost feels like something pulsing through cracks. His experience tells him that magical wards surround the area, and the attack weakens the defensive shields.

On a more mundane level, the investigation has different intensity at this club than the Men of Sin crime scene earlier. A gang of murderous bikers doesn't get a lot of investigative focus, but they examine the burlesque club from bow to stern. He wonders why the discrepancy.

As he ponders that thought, the aura of Eric guides him upstairs and into private booth two, which makes him wonder what happens in these places. It doesn't show any illicit acts, but a fiery one appears that nearly blinds him. After closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, the view returns to normal before noting a glass on the table.

After picking it up, the scent of vodka invades his senses, and the cop-brain ponders how a minor ordered it. Despite better judgment, he removes the glass from the scene to avoid the young man getting uncomfortable questions from unscrupulous detectives.

Between the police and EMTs, the main floor turns into a large triage zone as they inspect each guest. The cool breeze creeps along Eric's bare chest as an EMT examines the damage from the bean bags. A groan later, a flash of light invades his eyes as the EMT does a routine concussion scan.

"Name, sir?" the EMT asks as he puts his flashlight away.

"Eric Roberts."

"You look good," the EMT states before handing Eric his shirt.

The young man's mind rambles through the events as he puts his shirt back on. Although Neil is at the top of the list, the invaders were unfamiliar to him as well as why they abducted Bria. Anger swells within him as he wants to rescue her, but he doesn't know where she is.

Amongst the people, Alex surprises him. The doctor kneels before Fio, but not in an EMT outfit. As Eric's mind rewinds, he saw the doctor in the crowd. Now, the intensity of Fio's glare at the good doctor tells a different story as she leans against the wall.

"You wouldn't let the EMT examine you," Alex voices his concern.

"And you figured you'd come over to grope and prod the freak?" she snarls back. "Fat chance, pal!"

Although she has spots and alabaster skin, the woman is hardly a freak in Eric's opinion. He merely concludes that she's a haunting beauty. The aggravation of the doctor does reach the young man.

"No poking and prodding, just making sure you're okay."

"Right, and I'm the tooth fairy," she snarks right back at him, which causes him to stare exasperated.

"You got shot multiple times with beanbags!" he notes, but she just shrugs. "Let me check for serious injuries."

Although Fio rolls her eyes, the body language tells a different story. For a moment, her eyes examine Alex as other female students have, showing a slight attraction. Also, her aura warms up near him, and usually, the young man only sees that when people genuinely like each other.

"Fine, but I'll rip your tongue out if I don't like where you're going!" Fio says before Alex examines her without protest.

Eric chuckles at how the two bickers like an old married couple who knew each other well. To his knowledge, they have never met, but their chemistry is off the wall already. However, it does provide some amusement to his troubled mind.

In another direction, Tobias approaches him with the drink in his hand, and a thousand words run through the sophomore's head. Almost as if she heard his thoughts, Lily trots over to Eric while the detective approaches.