Chapter 6

The quest for sleep halts when Eric decides to put on jogging clothes and stretch. While it's almost midnight, the jazzy peep shows driven him crazy, so he figures a jog will clear his thoughts. After all, the close call in the pool convinces him to take severe steps in securing a good night rest.

Conveniently, Neil sits on his bed and drinks coffee. While no ladies have accompanied him, the disturbing pattern of his roommate appearing with toxic advice when the sophomore questions things are alarming. The entire stretch of their acquaintance feels like an elaborate ploy, which Eric cannot figure out what it is.

"So, Rebecca doesn't remember?" Neil asks with indifference. "And wet dreams are why booty calls exist."

In a legal case, a lawyer would tell Eric to shut the hell up, which is desirable right now because of the reveals to his roommate. While Neil asking him, what's going on seems like regular fare, the swimmer doesn't want to open up about it. However, the details still flow from Eric as if a flying monkey is prying it out of his brain, which includes Rebecca and the jazzy peepshows. The energy feels like when Lily tried to get him to open him up, but there is at least comfort with her. Neil's enthusiasm feels destructive, which is the last thing Eric needs.

Despite knowing that his roommate expects an answer, the sophomore doesn't know what to say without opening himself up to ridicule. Therefore, the one thought that comes to mind feels like it will avoid that.

"I think my mind is enchanted."

It's a swing and a miss because of Eric's inability to outright lie. While he can omit parts of the truth, the ability to lie isn't something he can do. His parent didn't beat it out of him, but it's something against his very nature. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop Neil from shrugging at his answer.

"A witchy Bria is pure fantasy."

Before causing himself any more trouble, Eric leaves the room. However, Neil looks at his watch and grins as it strikes midnight.

"Right on time."

***

At the hospital, it's been hours since they've given Emily the cocktail, and the faint connection of Earth returns. While she is still sluggish, two voices echo in the hall inform her of someone who can control fire. The hope of someone finding her swells her heart, and she concentrates her will. While the place is a dead zone and the exposed iron burns her, her hand touches the floor, and a circle of light glows illuminates the darkroom.

Unfortunately, Ben's spots her and hobbles in with a club, but the energy pulses out before the first strike hits her skin. Despite recovering from the punishment Neil unleashed on him, the rotund man beats her down with the hard rod clanging against her hard skin.

"Stupid trash!"

Although the armor softens the blow, she still feels some aches bleed through somehow. However, she holds onto the hope that someone will receive the message and save her from the brute.

***

The side door serves as a reprieve once again when Eric walks out into the beautiful open sky. The calm weather hits his senses and soothes the mind, which is the desired effect right now. Serenity ends when a flashlight shines in his eyes, and a security guard approaches him. Other than the uniform, it wasn't one that Eric's familiar with.

"Sneaking out after midnight!"

The campus has some excellent security guards that recognize the needs of students. Sometimes, a jog around the courtyard clears the mind from the day's troubles, which security guards will allow most of the time. Then there are guys like this who think they're a bad-ass with a gun, which thankfully, is a taser.