Chapter 4

Neil drives a short way out of town as Eric inspects the surroundings. Despite expecting a club within the township due to conventional practices, the nearly full parking lot breaks his expectations. The sign that reads "Darling Moonshine" jumps out at him along with the promotional posters on the walls.

Each poster promises onlookers beautiful women in elegant lingerie for their entertainment. As the vehicle draws closer, the details of each placard become more vivid with pieces from La Perla. However, the image looks more like a Vargas painting than a blow-up photo, which appeals to Eric's artistic side.

As Neil pulls into a parking space, Eric's mind reels at the implication of the decorations. While the quarterback said he will take him to a club, he didn't expect this kind of establishment. However, he suddenly realizes he should have.

"You brought me to a strip club!"

Suddenly, Eric freezes for a moment as a memory flashback to when he was sixteen, and Mary discovered his Victoria Secret catalog. Considering the more adult material on the market, the book was tame, but his mother didn't think so. With her husband holding him down, his mother strikes his ass with a single-tail whip. She hits harder and harder as he begs for mercy.

"No, it's a burlesque club, which is more artistic."

Eric snaps out of that memory and wonders how long he was gone. From the way his roommate talks, the trap was only a few seconds even though it felt like hours. He moves around the seat due to discomfort. Now and then, something will trigger a memory of one of his parents' punishments, and often leave a physical reminder lingering when he snaps out.

Neil steps out of the car, and scenarios play in Eric's mind. His parents will find out and execute a harsh punishment, but he also worries about what his roommate will think if he doesn't go. Stuck between two evils, the man leaves the car as Neil turns the car alarm on. He walks closer to the club and examines the exterior.

On the side, students sit on a patio with their books and laptops. Eric heard many things about clubs, but he never thought of an outdoor study hall. A young woman walks towards the crowd with cola drinks on her tray.

"Moron students using that patio as a haven," Neil scoffs. "They're missing the action inside."

Eric doesn't understand what's wrong with a haven for students. A study area without the distraction of the dorms or the stuffiness of the library. The proprietor used a smart business strategy to draw in customers without needing participation inside.

On final approach to the entrance, a large and bald African American in a suit guards the door. His mannerism and appearance gave Eric the impression of a marine. The man looks at the patio, the parking lot, and then the two of them.

"Hey, Kevin," Neil casually speaks to the man.

Kevin scrutinizes both. If the goal is to make people nervous, he succeeds with excellence. However, Eric looks at the study deck and notices that general feeling of safety. Therefore, the big man obviously takes his role in security seriously.

"IDs, please."

Eric nervously shows his driver's license, while Neil just plops his into the doorman's hands. The two IDs fall under intense scrutiny before the doorman stamps both with an "Under 21" mark. However, Kevin turns towards Eric and smiles.

"Enjoy."

Neil drags Eric inside before he processes Kevin's shift in attitude.

The main area assaults all of Eric's senses, which Neil veers off somewhere to leave the sophomore undefended. The exquisitely furnished area holds elegant and Victorian aesthetics, with white tablecloths and crystal-clear wine glasses adding to the class. Guests make him feel under-dressed in their beautiful clothing while waitresses in fancy lingerie deliver drinks. Eric notices the guests cordially speak to them without crude gestures. It sets a standard of how to behave in this establishment.