Chapter 25

As Lily ordered, the burlesque club turns into an emergency center, so doctors and nurses can treat the afflicted. The staff also helps as assistants to ensure immediate care, while Andrei continues to carry in supplies. Although the dhampir can fight, there is a lot of temptation he'd rather not face, so he uses his father's influence to buy extra supplies.

The surgical section stays busy as Tony works diligently to treat bullet wounds and other critical injuries. The efficiency of his skills shows his roots on the battlefield, and he moves through the patients while Andrei supplies him with sterile tools.

Catherine, on the other hand, examines Eric, who lies on a cot with a blanket over him. In only a speedo, there is a fear that he would catch a cold or worse, so she takes precautions. While she checks his chest with a stethoscope, Bria stays at his side and tenderly strokes his hand. After the young man wakes, he stares in confusion at the two ladies.

"Where am I?"

Bria's eyes widen as she squeezes his hand. When she told the doctors about how she found him, there was that look of grim. Therefore, she's overly excited he woke up.

"Thank god, you're alright."

Catherine stares at the two of them before listening deeper into his chest. While the blast didn't penetrate the doors, other injuries affect patients. However, he sounds clear, which gives relief to the doctor.

"Sounds good," Catherine delivers her prognosis. "Rest here for a bit."

The news warms Bria's heart as she strokes the young man's hair. A single teardrop falls while she confronts her feelings. Despite Tracy telling her that water is his element, Eric worried her to death with how long he was unconscious.

"You scared me!" she confesses. "I didn't think you would ever wake up."

Despite the chaos of the world, he gently pulls her down into his arms and kisses her. She leans into him and cuddles next to him on the cot while making out with him. The attack stirred such emotions and fear, but this kiss tells her that everything will be okay because they are one. No matter what happens, they will always be one.

Stacy walks around the Moonshine and mentally headcounts the students and staff. However, a few notable people are missing, which sends her mind racing to find them. Tobias walks up to her and hands her a cup of coffee, which she graciously accepts.

"Thank you for responding so quickly."

Tobias nods while he reconciles everything in his mind. A few losses and a lot of lives saved should mark a win, but today feels like a band-aid solution at best. The sacrifice of Tracy allowed more people to see another day, which the detective is grateful. Although he tries to rummage through his mind for a different call, there wasn't any in that brief period.

"Ms. Burns didn't make it," Tobias states. "She died a hero, trying to get everyone out."

He left the cyclones out because it isn't something easily understood by non-magical people. However, the softening of the explosion prevented a massive chlorine fire from spilling into the township, which the chemical attack would have higher tolls. A hero in his book.

Stacy scratches her head and thinks about all the scenarios. The firefighters are still dealing with the chlorine fire, and there isn't a way to recover the body currently. However, she knew there is one thing she must do.

"I have to make a phone call."

Unfortunately, Tobias knows that tone too well. It's when a cop needs to notify next of kin of a passing, which is never a pleasant experience. He would gladly take the burden off people, but Stacy assumes that responsibility.