V

Azel

"Okay, Thea, I know how this must lo–"

"She nearly died because of you, you asshole." Jace growled.

Stephan shot him a dismissive look. "You're still relevant?"

"More than you, it seems." He retorted.

"Listen, blondie, how about you put the blade down, and let me see my sister."

"Like I said," Jace cocked his head. "She almost died during your last encounter. Or your plan for one at least."

Stephan resulted to ignoring him completely as his gaze averted back to me. I shied away from it. His eyes softened. "Thea, please, let me explain."

"I don't understand what there is to explain." The broken voice didn't belong to me. I didn't even know how to form words at the moment so there's no way it could belong to me.

"Thea–"

"Saying the name you gave her over and over again isn't going to do shit." Eli cut in.

"Will you two just shut up?" But Stephan's tone didn't grow angry. It was still soft and...lost. He looked so lost. "Please– please, Thea. It's me, I swear to whatever god lays above us that it's me."

I couldn't move– didn't want to. I was scared of what I'd do if I could.

So he continued to stare at me, but wisely respected the distance between him and the two seraph blades pointed at him. "Please, believe me. It was me– that night at the club. That was me, I swear to you. And it was me when you snuck out and I brought you back to the institute."

I shook my head, averting my gaze to the floor. I couldn't believe him– how could I?

If you're worried about that glamour thing, then how can you trust anyone? Azel's voice was nothing more than a mumble.

So you're saying he's the real deal?

Really? Your body is literally in shock right now and that's what you think? 'Is he the real deal?' The real deal?

"Thea?"

I glanced up at him once more,
making my hazel eyes hold his blue ones. "If it wasn't you who sent those forsaken, and it wasn't you in the warehouse, then–"

"I was in the warehouse. Or by one at least." He cut me off, his eyebrows furrowing.

"That's not helping your case right now."

He shook his head as if trying to clear his thoughts. "No, I was by the warehouse. I was kept in this massive, metal thing." My gaze must've become hesitant because he was quick to explain. "The night I dropped you off at the institute, I was...I don't know. One second I was walking back to the hotel and the next I was in some metal box."

"And you've clearly escaped?"

He shook his head. "Some man let me out."

"Some man?" Jace inquired.

We ignored him. "Thea, please, you have–"

"It's Azel." I ground out as I finally gathered my wits and stepped away from Raphael. "And I don't have to do anything. Especially not when it concerns you."

"Whatever happened, you can't blame m–"

"Maybe not, but I know for right now that I sure as hell can't trust you."

The vampire looked defeated. "Thea– Azel, please." Another daring step forward. "I–"

I raised my hand, shaking my head, and cutting him off. "Don't." A deep breath. "Look, I'm going to be frank with you; I don't have the time, willpower, or mental stability to deal with this right now. I'm tired and I have a really bad headache, and in coming here to try to get some of the pressure off, I've managed to just make it worse." As usual. "So, if you want to talk, we can meet somewhere some other time, but right now...right now I'm going to go back to the institute, possibly take a bath, and then going to sleep."