XI

ISABELLE

"Morning, big brother," I sang as I walked into the training room.

Alec hummed back in response as he bit into an apple.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I checked the time. "Have you seen Clary? She was supposed to be here by now for training."

"Nope," Alec replied, walking over to where the bō staffs were kept. "And I'm happy about it too."

I rolled my eyes as I fixed the mesh crop top I was wearing. "You know she's not all that bad."

"Like you liked her anymore than I do when she first arrived."

"Yeah, what, the first few days maybe? She was new, but I learned to accept it. As you should."

"Whatever," He quickly dismissed the topic as he threw the remains of his apple in the trash. "Have you seen Jace?"

I shook my head no. "But come to think of it, I haven't seen Azel at all either, and it's already 9am. She's usually caused some havoc by this time."

My heart warmed as I finally got my brother to smile, but it was followed by a shake of his head. "Those three gone together? Not a good sign."

I shrugged. "I'm sure they'll be f–"

"Jace is gone."

Both Alec and I snapped our heads towards Clary at her panicked words. I furrowed my eyebrows as I asked, "What do you mean go–"

"I mean I can't find him anywhere. And your mother is about to throw a fit because we have no idea where Azel is either and the Clave is scheduled to be here in mere days to question her about last week."

Alec started. "They're what?"

"Not important," I interceded. "When was the last time anyone saw either of them?"

"Jace was with me at the computers last night," Alec offered.

"And Azel was with Eli all day from what I know."

Clary took a step back and glanced into the hallway. "Has anyone actually checked her room?"

Alec and I shared a look before he instantly dropped the bō staff and began leading the way to Azel's room. With how panicked this whole situation made Clary seem, I would kill the both of them if we found them making out or–

"Oh my God..." Clary gasped as she took in the mess that had become Azel's room.

The window was open and the floor by it soaked from the rain last night and earlier this morning, the sheets and comforter were thrown to the back of the bed, the drawer to her nightstand was definitely off one of its rollers, and a book and crumpled note were side by side on the bed– where it seemed a stain of blood lay as well.

"What the hell happened here?"

I was the first to move, headed to close the window when I caught a glimpse of what the book was opened to and stilled.

"It's a note," Alec stated, picking up the book to examine it more closely. "Doesn't say who it's from."

"What's this?" Clary picked up the crumpled note that was laying next to the book. "It's from Jace."

"That's from the day he sent her an omelet through me."

I didn't miss the way the redhead's jaw slightly clenched as I slowly made my way towards them. "She kept it. Interesting."

Alec looked as if he was holding in a scoff as he rolled his eyes.

"Well what was she doing with them?" I inquired, gesturing to the two items which were now side by side again.