Chapter 9

Mal's POV

I walked into the door. That door had led to many other doors. These doors weren't invisible though. Suddenly, there was an echoing voice sounding through the spacious room.

"You've found a trick door." It boomed throughout the room. "Choose the right door, you'll escape back into the maze. Choose the wrong door, face... it's a surprise... and get put back to try again. There are 2,046,292 doors."

My jaw dropped. If possible, it dropped all the way to the ground, or it would've. How was I was suppose to pick the right door out of 2,046,292 doors? Seems pretty impossible. Plus, there's still a time limit unless time works different in this new area.

Which door shall I try first? Maybe the first? Or is that too obvious? A good place to start was the first, so I decided to just take the first door up to see what was beyond it.

I opened it and was dragged into... something. It was a flashback. And I is watching it. And I was experiencing it like the first time it happened.

"You expect me to eat those.. scraps?" Mother spat at me. She hit the tray of food I had brought to her.

"But, Mother you asked for this." 9 year old me told her. She got up off her throne and towered over me, grabbing me by the collar of my shirt.

"You dare defy me child? I brought you into this world and can easily take you out." Mother threatened. My breathing quickened.

"Sorry. I'll go get you something different." Mother scoffed.

"No. You need to be taught a lesson."

She threw a punch that knocked the wind out of me. I flew across the throne room. She walked up to me and started to kick me and punch me. Some of her minions came into the room and started to have their fun. She dug her nails in my skin as she picked me up.

"Now, listen Mal. You are going to get me some food. No scraps." I nodded quickly. She put me down and I about fell over from all the beating. "Eh. You can do it tomorrow."

I looked at her confused. She then threw a punch that knocked me out.

I suddenly got thrown out of a room. Great. Memories. Bad ones. I mean, what memories do I even have that are good? Maybe this is the section of bad memories. Even better. I don't think I needed to remember that. I would like to remember the names of my friends, but whatever I can remember being beaten by my own blood too...

What door next? Should I take up No. 2? Or is this just wasting time? I started to walk down the aisle of doors. Thousands of doors. Millions. Or, at least 2 million. I stopped at a door that I was drawn towards.

No. 210

Why was I drawn to it? I don't know, but I'm about to find out.

"You useless piece of shit!" Mother yelled at me.

"No! It's not my fault. I would've let her touch it! I promise!" I argued.

(A/N: btw if you don't get what they're talking about, they're talking about what happened in the first Descendants book. Mal was going to let Evie touch the Dragon Eye, Maleficent's scepter, but instead she touched it. If Evie would've touched it she would have fallen asleep for 1,000 years, but since Mal did it she only was asleep for a bit. Just pretend that they don't go to Auradon till a couple more months after this.)

Mother tried to tower over me, but I didn't let her. She punched me right in my gut.

"You do not challenge me!" She told me.

I regained my balance from which I lost when I was punched. I ran up to her and I punched her right in the jaw. She was shocked, this was the first time I've ever hit her. She hit me back with all of her might.

"You do not hit me! I thought I raised you better!"

She picked up a piece of broken glass on the floor and stared to stab me with it. Cut me. Scrape me. Deep, too. She punched me in the jaw, too. She threw some more blows, a lot actually, and I started to cough up blood. She threw one right to my nose. It bled and was broken as well.

Mother bent my leg, the wrong way I may add, and I heard a crack. She smiled ya me evilly. With all my might, though I may not have had much left, I punched her right in her eye. She was now steaming.

'I just poked a bear.' I thought to myself.

She kept bending that same leg, still the wrong leg. I usually don't, rarely actually, scream in pain, but this was an exception. It hurt like hell. And I'm pretty sure I've experienced hell before.

"Stop! Please! Mother stop!" I pleaded. She cackled and pushed my leg faster as I screamed more. After bending it a bit more she finally stopped and let go.

She picked up the glass shard again. She pulled up my shirt and took it off. It revealed many scars, but what she was looking for was something different. On my right shoulder blade there was a birthmark. The birthmark of a dark fairy.

Mother began to use that shard of glass to try to take my skin off, so I wouldn't have that birthmark anymore. I screamed in agony. I knew mom was just enjoying my suffering.

She gave up after a while and stabbed me with the shard in frustration. She took my left arm and pulled it behind my back. She twisted my arm around, mind you this was the wrong way, and I yelped.

"Mother! Ahh! Please!" I tried to beg again, but she was just relishing my pleads and my screams.

She twisted my arm once more for good measure. It was the loudest crack I've ever heard. She threw me down onto the floor.

"Don't you ever retaliate again. You hear me?" Mother demanded. I nodded. She walked away, leaving me broken, bruised, cut, scraped, stabbed, and traumatized for life.

I once again was thrown out of the room. Why did that door want me to see... that? That's one of the memories I dread the most. Why the hell did that door want me to relive that?

I continued walking down the never ending hallway of doors. How would I ever find the right door, let alone even get out of my head?