hand-spun

***

***

A month of antagonizing stares and whispers went by, and then more months eventually passed. Billy and I had completely fallen out of touch after the incident, and I intended to keep it that way. Decker and Oliver threatened him, made sure he stayed away and did a good job at it. Soon it was close to the end of the year and prom was rolling around the corner. I knew exactly who I'd be going with, it was an obvious choice for me. 

Sam and I had gone on our first date three weeks after the locker incident. We went to see a movie: The Breakfast Club. I thought it was great, but the character Bender reminded me a little bit too much of a certain Hargrove I was not a fan of. Sam told me he made that connection too, but we both laughed it off. I walked to homeroom, somewhere I had come to love and hate at the same time. I walked in and found my normal seat next to Oliver, still one that was unfortunately in front of Billy. He had given up his pissed-off demeanor in the past month, trading it in for a more smug one. It was almost like he always knew something that I didn't. I didn't know what to think, honestly, and often times I tried to not think about it at all. 

After homeroom, we had a senior study hall in the auditorium. The entire senior class would be there, something I wasn't sure if I liked or didn't like. I usually sat with my close friends, Steve, Sam, and their other jock friends. We all sat in a large group, which was helpful. Surprisingly, everyone had almost completely forgotten about the locker thing, which was good for me. Oliver and I walked briskly down the hallway, which was weird, but he seemed to be rushing me to study hall. "What's the rush?" I joked, looking at Oliver next to me as we walked/ran down the hallway. His face remained very focused and I rolled my eyes at him with a smile. I would just have to continue being confused for a few more minutes. When we got to the study hall, Oliver's hasty attitude completely disappeared. "What the hell?" I exclaimed with a laugh. Oliver furrowed his brow in mock confusion, "What?" 

"You know what, I'm not even gonna-" I said, cutting myself off and pulling books out of my backpack. Suddenly, Oliver reached over and knocked the book out of my hands and onto the floor. "Woah! Dude, whaaaaat the hell?" I said, stretching out the 'what' to make evident my annoyance and confusion. "We have to focus," he said sharply. I shook my head a little, looking forward for no apparent reason. When nothing happened, I turned to Oliver, "Can I do my homework now?" He shook his head, "Nah, the fun's about to begin!" I furrowed my brow, but suddenly heard a chorus of commotion coming from the stage. Everyone began to make noise and cheer about something.

"God," I groaned, ", what now?" I looked at the stage and saw Sam walk out with a poster with big letters scrawling out a clever prom-posal. I clasped my hands over my mouth in shock, suppressing a happy laugh. "Well, get up there!" Oliver said, practically shoving me. I giggled and walked up to Sam, hugging him with a huge smile on my face. "So, what do you say, huh? How's prom sound?" He asked like he didn't know what I was gonna say. 

I tsked and put on a fake sad face. "No, I'm sorry. I already have a date," I said with a faux pout. "You're too much," Sam said, pulling me back into a hug. I smiled and after we separated, I looked at the sign again. "Of course I'll go with you," I cooed. A door to the auditorium swung open and all I saw was the back of a jean jacket storming out of study hall. My smile faltered for a second, but I turned back to Sam and kissed him, smiling wide. Some applause broke out and I looked out onto the study hall crowd that had gathered around the stage. Realizing where we were, I began to blush. "Shit," I said, covering my mouth in slight embarrassment and awe. 

"SHE SAID YES!" Sam shouted jokingly, alluding to what people say after real proposals. I laughed and when everything became calm again I hopped off the stage. We went back to sit down and Sam put an arm around me once we were in the seats. "You sly dog," I said to Oliver, who wore a proud smile. He nodded and crossed his arms, still smiling. We sat through the study hall and continued being bored. I pulled out a piece of loose-leaf paper and folded it into the shape of an airplane. I threw it towards Decker and Libby, who sat nearby, and it hit Libby in the head. She whipped around and held the airplane in her hand, her eyebrows furrowed. "Who the fuck threw this?" She whisper-yelled. When she saw me, Sam, and Oliver snickering and trying to contain our laughter, she realized it was us that had thrown it, and she threw it right back. This time, it hit Sam square on the head. I laughed to myself, not wanting to show too much amusement over this whole ordeal, and Sam saw that I was trying to control myself. He poked me in the stomach with a laugh, tickling me slightly, and I burst out laughing, earning a sharp shushing from the teacher overseeing the study hall. 

"Look what you did!" I whispered to Sam who was still smiling. "Yeah, yeah, whatever," He said nonchalantly. 

I smiled again, not able to be mad at him, and I took out my books so I could get some homework done. This was a good day.