17 ∥Epiphany

열일곱.

Epiphany (n.) a moment of sudden and great revelation or realization

) a moment of sudden and great revelation or realization

10th Day

"Don't leave me, Jieun. I know you're strong. You're going to be okay, alright? Noona! Choi Jieun!"

Jisung held onto her hand that felt colder than it should've been normally. The bed that she laid on was pushed by the nurses following with the guy by her side in rush to the emergency room. "She's not breathing" the guy adverted his gaze on the nurse who spoke, his eyes were shaky as he could feel his heart drop. "No no no, Jieun! Stay with me please–"

His sentence was cut. Her figure disappeared from his sight as the last thing that registered his mind was him being held back from entering the emergency room and him fighting back weakly, tears running down his cheeks like a waterfall. The door was closed shut. Jisung peeked from the small window of the door, hitting his fist and crying for what seemed like eternity. Times felt longer than usual. A second felt like an hour as the guy was left alone, leaning against the cold door as he slid down the hard surface of it until he was crouching in front of the door that was blocking him from meeting the girl inside.

His face was buried under his two arms. Jisung hadn't realized nor did he care about his appearance. The tears that escaped his eyes, his messy hair as he kept ruffling them in frustration, his wet shirt and the burning pain on his knee from falling while carrying Jieun down the hill in rush.

Sometime passed, Jisung could feel the vibration of his phone in his pocket. Wiping his tears away and composing himself back from all the events that was happening before his eyes, Jisung picked his phone up, connecting with a familiar voice of his friend, Minho.

"Han Jisung, where's my fucking car? I have a date later– wait, are you crying? Send me your location"

Hearing the same harsh tone from the older made the guy slightly in ease. A chuckle escaped his lips as he stood up and went to the nearest chair to sit on. Jisung took a deep breathe before replying.

"I'm sorry. Something unexpected happened. I'll text you the location. Please hurry"

A sigh was heard from the other line.

"Yes, I will, sungie. I'll come straightaway after I found my freaking left sock ugh–"

and the line was cut off. The hazelnut haired stared onto the blank, pitch black screen while he pursed his lips into a thin line, holding himself back from breaking down again. The next couple of minutes were a complete silence up until a voice yelled his name out loud.

Two guys were running to his side, each wearing a thick coat, concealing their thin bodies underneath. Minho was first to arrived as he eyed his best friend with a soft gaze. Jisung wore a thin smile to mask his true emotions and to not make his friends worried over him. Changbin followed suit after, quickly giving the youngest a tight hug.

"Everything's going to be okay"

He reassured the youngest. Jisung couldn't help the liquid that once again shed from his eyes. The hazelnut haired pulled Changbin closer, tightening his embrace as he cried onto his friend's shoulder.

"Am I overthinking? I guess I am. She'll be fine, right?"

"She will" minho replied, smiling warmly at his friend. The oldest among the three patted the latter on his head.

The three sat in the waiting room. Jisung had fallen asleep after being convinced for almost half of an hour. However, changbin was busy explaining who the girl was to Minho as the guy kept on questioning if it was someone he knew. "No, you don't know her. She's someone Jisung himself doesn't realize how important she is to him"

"And you knew? That makes no sense"

"He's been my friend for over a decade. I just know it. Shut up, minho"

"Yeah, whatever so convincing"

The clock continued ticking and finally, a guy with a labor coat went out from the emergency room. Jisung who was wide awake now instantly got up to him, his eyes big, full of anticipation.

"She's fine, right? Nothing serious happened to Choi Jieun, am I right? She fainted because she has just recovered from her fever. Is that it?" Jisung bombarded the doctor, his hands were placed on the male's shoulders. The hazelnut haired noticed his action and quickly stepped back. He apologized, but the doctor just gave him a sad smile and patted him on the shoulder.

"she's fine for now, but we still can't figure out how much time she has" His eyes grew big.

"what do you mean?"

"Miss Choi has suffered leukemia at stage 4. She doesn't have much time left"

His gaze fell onto the floor. His world came crushing down as a suffocating feeling drowned him. As if pulling him into the depth of the ocean.

"I'm sorry, sir" was what the doctor said before bowing and walking away.

Changbin went up to the youngest, supporting his friend to stand up on his weak legs. The latter then led jisung back to the seats earlier, comforting him.

On the other hand, minho was in his own world, blankly staring into nowhere in a deep thought.

"Choi Jieun?" the name left his lips. His brows furrowed.

Could it possibly be... her?

_______________
💫 Words Count : 912
I'm sorry for not posting it yesterday like what I promised :(