19..

Placing his stash of money in the small cut of his mattress, he listened to his mom lecture him for the tenth time this week

Placing his stash of money in the small cut of his mattress, he listened to his mom lecture him for the tenth time this week. it was only Tuesday.

"I'm not dumb... I know what you be doing running them streets, late at night. You think I'm stupid? Your father has a fucking record doing that shit and that's the road you want to go down Ja'Colby?" Looking at youngest son broke her heart. He was going down the wrong path. She felt like she was holding onto him by a thread.

Disregarding her comment, he left out two hundred dollars on his bed before walking past his mom and placing it in her hand, kissing her cheek, not saying a word.

He knew it was wrong. But he didn't have a choice. What was he going to do? Watch his family struggle? Where they came from they didn't hire folks for "regular" jobs. It was rare enough his father had a job at a gas station that didn't pay him shit because of his criminal background.

"Ja'Colby Santiago, get your ass back here. Now." Looking back at his mothers stern face, he knew not to play with her.

Opting to ignoring her, he turned around and leaned against a wall. He was tired of being lectured about the same shit. But it was what he had to do. His hustle was the only reason why the hot water was on.

Watching fresh tears coat over her eyes, he immediately softened his nonchalant demeanor. He was many things, many. And he could tolerate many things. But he couldn't watch women cry. Not women he loved. Not his mom.

"Don't cry. I'm fine Mama... just stop crying." Ja'Colby walked up to his mom, bringing her in close and hugging her. She couldn't even help the breakdown she began to have.

You see, Ja'Colby's mother, Diane, had manic depression, also known as bipolar disorder. In addition to that, intermittent explosive disorder to go right along with her schizoid personality disorder. He wouldn't be able to tell from the outside looking in.

She was the sweetest to come by. She always spoke highly of her kids and her husband, always picking the next person up and telling them about god if she had the chance to. She believed everyone should know that god loved them. Although sometimes she didn't believe it herself.