A Song of Angels

With the faintest of sighs
With the flutter of eyes
With the releasing of pain
Angels whisper your name

While life weighed on your shoulders
A burden endured
When the angels are calling
You suffer no more

When the darkness encroaches
With a beckoning hand
You leave life behind you
For a long promised land

Where those loved
And those lost
Are brought together again
And where the tears
Are of happiness
To fall as our rain

In our hearts you'll live always
So goodnight sweet princess
May flights of bright golden angels
Sing thee to thy rest

This is one of the hardest poems I've ever had to write

This is one of the hardest poems I've ever had to write. It is also one of the hardest I've had to read and this is why I'm choosing it to be the first in this collection. A Song of Angels was written for my mother's funeral and I read it to the small congregation. It's not often that I am stuck for words when writing something. If I am, the smallest prompt, such as a word or sentence or picture can easily kick it off. For this poem, none of that worked.

My mother died unexpectedly on New Years Eve of 2018. She'd been battling cancer for a year and a half and hadn't told any of us. I wanted to write something as a tribute for her, but the blank page stared write back at me. Finally, I started to write, and it was really a case of one word after another, with each reaching out to the one that would follow. A Song of Angels was written, as are many of my poems, in one sitting. The final lines are paraphrased from Shakespeare's Hamlet and were part of the speech my brother gave, also at the funeral.

Death is a part of life, of course, and it's inescapable. For all of you who has lost someone close, I'm sending a virtual hug.