The Island

I used to think
I stood
On an island adrift
In an impatient sea
Remote and alone
With no place to call
Home
But now I know
The island is me
And I float
Not adrift
But drawn by
Currents of hope
On waves of chance
And change
With the horizon of my
Dreams
Ever closer

I used to think
I was alone
Isolated
Afraid to drown
But drawn
Inexorably
Down
And now I know
The ocean below is
Resplendent
With my history
With my friends
My family
You

I used to think
I stood
On an island adrift
In an impatient sea
Now I know
Impatience is excitement
Is a welcome
Adrift is a journey
One we all must take
To find ourselves
To discover our future
To become
Ourselves
To become
You
And
Me

I used to think I stood On an island adriftIn an impatient seaRemote and alone With no place to callHomeBut now I know The island is me And I float Not adrift But drawn byCurrents of hope On waves of chanceAnd change With the horizon of my Dreams ...

No man is an island, said John Donne.

Hearing or reading this, or being told such is the case, doesn't change the fact we can feel we're exactly that. An island, adrift on a tumultuous sea. We can reach out for the hands offering to pull us back, but they can seem just out of reach, or their grip can slip, and we find ourselves further away. More lost.

It won't always be this way. Though storms can barrage you, and have you clinging on so as not to drown, calmer waters will come. Whether that be with acceptance from others or from yourself, or an opportunity to become grounded and more content, please don't push them away.

I have felt cast off. I've felt isolated. Almost worthless at times. Writing these poems, and many of my books and poems, has helped me find myself. It's helped me feel that, hey, I'm maybe not so bad. I can easily look at myself again and think that no, that's not the case and my original feelings were right, but it happens less and less.

I hope it can for you too. I hope the seas calm and the storms subside. I hope you find love, acceptance and I hope you find you.

Take care.