Chapter 7

Luke's p.o.v

It has been a week since Calum was beat up. He was in the hospital for 2 days. Since he had a concussion he stayed home all week. He is coming back to school today though. He was still pissed off at the guys who broke his leg. I don't know what he is going to do when he sees them. The day we had to perform our song Calum wasn't here so we got an extension. We have to perform today. Ashton and I got off the school bus and went to our lockers. Since Calum and Michael live close to the school they were walking together. They were going to take longer since Calum is on crutches. When they arrived to school Ashton went to history while we went to geography. 

Michael: I have to go to the bathroom I'll be back.

Luke: Ok.

Michael got up and left the room. Calum then turned to look at me.

Calum: So where are you taking Ashton for your one year anniversary?

Luke: Be quiet someone might hear you!

Calum: Oh sorry.

Luke: Anyway I haven't figured out all of the details yet.

Calum: Well whatever you do he is going to love it.

Luke: Thanks Cal.

******************************************************************************

The bell rang and we all went to Math. Unfortunately we saw the jocks that beat Calum up.

Jocks: Oh hey Calum what happened to your leg?

Calum: Shut the fuck up before I take my crutch and bash your fucking heads open with it!

Jocks: We could easily out run you.

Before anything else could happen the teacher came into the room and told everyone to sit down.

Ashton: So do we have to play our song today or tomorrow?

Michael: Today. 

Luke: Do you guys need to practice or do you think we will be fine?

Calum: I think we will be fine.

***************************************************************************

We walked into music class and went to the front of the classroom. We got Calum a chair to sit in and then got our instruments. 

Teacher: So tell us what your song is called and what it is about.

Luke: Our song is called Social Casualty.

Ashton: This song is about the expectations that people in society tries to put on you. 

Calum: Also breaking free from those expectations and doing what you want.

We sang our song for the class and when we finished people clapped. I really like songwriting so it feels good that people like it. We went back to our seats and the teacher talked about music theory. This was my least favourite thing about this class. When the bell rang I said goodbye to Michael and Calum. Ashton and I then got on the bus and went home.

Ashton's p.o.v

I was not excited to go home tonight. My step dad was on a business trip and was coming home today. I don't want to get hurt again. I can't even go over to Luke's because his family is having the Ward's over for supper again like they do every month. I said goodbye to Luke and walked into my house. 

Mom: Hey Ashton how was school?

Ashton: School was good. Calum came back today and we played our song in front of the class.

Mom: That's nice to hear. Anyway your dad is coming home in an hour.

Ashton: Stepdad.

Mom: Ashton Joe just because he isn't your biological father doesn't mean anything.

Ashton: Maybe if he didn't abuse me every fucking day then I would call him my dad!

Mom: Ashton don't say that!

Ashton: What the truth? Don't try to say that it's not! Even though you don't see it you hear it happening and you still chose to stay with him! Nice to know I mean something to you.

Mom: Just go to your room!

Ashton: Whatever mom!

***********************************************************************

Luke's p.o.v

Right now I was in my room with Hannah. She was talking about her boyfriend.

Hannah: Do you have a girlfriend?

Luke: No. I don't really like any of the girls here. 

Hannah: Yeah the girls in this town are kind of bitchy.

Luke: Yeah. Also no offence to you. I obviously like you in a friendly way.

Hannah: None taken I know what you mean.

Mom: Hannah Luke supper is ready!

***********************************************************************

After they left I was in the kitchen helping my mom clean up. I saw a car pull into Ashton's driveway. That must mean that his dad is home. I quickly finished what I was doing and went to my room. 20 minutes later Ashton texted me asking to come over I said yes and opened my window. A few minutes later he climbed to my window and I helped him in. He had tears in his eyes and he was shaking.

Luke: It's ok babe. He doesn't know you are here right now and can't hurt you. 

We lied down on my bed and cuddled. I wanted to just walk over to his house and yell at Joe for being such an asshole. The whole street can hear Joe scream at Ashton so I don't know why no one does anything about it. Even at church everyone still acts like he is a good person when he's not.

Ashton: Luke my mom is texting me asking where I am. What do I do?

Luke: When you go back home just say I invited you over.

Ashton: Ok.

Luke: I can even walk back with you to make it look more believable.

Ashton: Ok.

I kissed him and then we both climbed out of my window. We waited for a few minutes before walking up to Ashton's front door. Anne answered and we talked for a few minutes. I then said goodbye to them and went back home.