Chapter Twenty-One

I woke up Monday morning, the kiss still fresh and ever-present in my mind. It was still my focus after a night's sleep, I thought your first kiss was supposed to be a good experience it was a good experience, yet every time I thought about it, something seemed wrong. The power that flowed through us, it was intense, it was not right. It was definitely not something I was going to forget. I tried to shake off the feeling as I went through my morning routine, but I was still getting goosebumps. When I got downstairs and made my breakfast Mark and Kathy noticed it as well.

"What's wrong, Conner? You seem off this morning," Mark asked as I came down.

"I don't know. I was saying goodbye to Logan last night and we kissed and it felt...it felt..." I couldn't think of a word to describe it.

"How did it feel, Conner?" Kathy asked, breaking me out of a mini trance.

I looked over at her and she had a smile plastered to her face.

"Powerful, passionate, warm, complete, amazing, safe. It felt all of those and more. It was one of the best, if not the best thing I have ever felt. But I also felt angry, and some other bad stuff. It was like all my emotions I've felt in the last couple months all combined in one moment. It felt like electricity flowing through my body," I responded finally, flushing due to an overwhelming amount of embarrassment.

After a minute of silence, Mark spoke first. "Wow.... that's a lot....do you feel like this all the time with him?"

"Yes and no. I feel many of those when I'm with him, but the kiss seemed to like exaggerate everything. It took it to a whole new level; it was really something else," I responded, trying not to be overwhelmed by the whole thing.

Mark looked over to Kathy, giving her a surprised look, "We'll have to do some research to see if you two aren't even stranger than previously thought. It's probably nothing to worry about," Kathy said, looking at me.

"Okay," I responded and tried to focus on my breakfast.

"How did things go with Nixon?" Kathy asked, changing the topic to possibly the only the other thing I didn't want to talk about.

I looked up, "It couldn't have gone much worse."

Kathy laughed, "It could always go worse with hunters. You're still alive, so that's something."

"I suppose your right," I answered.

Austin then came downstairs and sat down with his breakfast. I moved to the living room and put on the news. Luckily, today's major headline was about the town's yearly Pierogi Festival, which is weird, 'cause there isn't that big of a Polish population nowadays. Apparently, though, they were the town founder's favorite food or something.

"Anything of interest on the news?" Austin said as he walked in.

"Just some stuff about Pierogi Fest," I replied, bored.

"Man, why do you have to hate on Pierogi Fest? Who doesn't love Pierogis?" Austin declared.

"Pierogis are fine; I just don't see the point in a festival for them," I finished.

Austin then shook his head, "I find your lack of love for Pierogis disturbing."

"Maybe that's 'cause the festival is dedicated to your family," I snapped back snarkily.

"It's not dedicated to my family," Austin replied.

"Dude, it's a festival celebrating the town's founding, by your family, centered around a food from where your family came from. Hell, you and Mark are usually the guests of honor!" Before Austin could respond, I interjected let's just go to school," I sighed and moved to get my stuff.