Chapter Twenty-Nine

We piled into the cars and started to make our way to the mill. There was very little talking going on; you could cut the tension with a knife. The ride seemed to go on forever, each mile seemingly longer than the next. Finally, after fifteen minutes of the most stressful drive in my life, we arrived at the mill. We got out of the cars and gathered together outside the main entrance; quickly, a handful of people walked out towards us. I recognized my dad walking right next to Anna. We moved up and closed the distance to meet them.

"Logan, how are you guys doing?" Anna asked as we approached them.

"As good as can be expected," Logan answered.

"Good, let's get started," Anna said, guiding us into the mill.

I didn't like this; Anna seemed too confident, too sure that the plan was going to work. Her pack members looked the same. I couldn't think of a word to describe it; the closest thing I could think of it was almost smugness.

Anna started by giving us a tour of the first handful of rooms and halls, pointing out traps as we went by. She would explain what each one did, and then how it would affect us if we were hit; in the first level, as Anna called it, most of the traps were knockout traps. Anna then guided us through to what she called the second level; she pointed out the traps here, which were specialty traps: smoke grenades that would cause hallucinations, knockout gas, other nasty stuff. Anna continued to guide us through, showing us how the traps were set; we made sure not to step on the tripwires. We kept walking through the halls before Anna stopped us suddenly.

"From here on out they will be mostly lethal traps, so follow close behind me and watch where you step," Anna said.

We all quickly got in a single file line behind her. I looked back and saw Dad at the very back of the group. We then stepped into a new hallway where Anna started to point out different traps, most of them I couldn't even see. Anna led us through this level three area, telling us about what each trap would do: wolfsbane-laced bullets and arrows triggered by tripwire or motion sensors. We continued until Anna stopped and pointed out another tripwire, which, when activated, would flood the hall with wolfsbane gas. We continued through this level for another hallway until we were in what Anna called level four.

"This is the smallest level; this is where the majority of us will be located. We will have a few hunters and pack members in the other levels to work the traps and then some outside, but any of Jade's pack who get through all that will then have to go through us," Anna said confidently.

I was mentally shaking my head at that; this all felt way too easy. All of this worry and preparation, it would all be stopped by a couple days' worth of setting traps? Everything that Jade had gone through to put us on this course; it was just too easy. Anna showed us around the fourth level, it was two stories; she said the werewolves would fight on the first floor and the hunters would, for the most part, be on the second floor, shooting down. At this stage, it would be knockout arrows in case of friendly fire. Anna then brought us into the fifth defense level, deep inside the heart of the mill, where we would be; it was the main meeting room, one floor, three reinforced entrances. The mill was only three stories tall in the highest places, but its twisting and turning caverns that all lead to where we were in the heart of the mill. I looked around the room; Brock and his crew were sitting at a table in the corner. They appeared to be pretty relaxed considering the circumstances. I then resumed scanning the room until my eyes landed on a group of hunters in the corner. I recognized one face in the group, Nixon. He must have noticed us as well because he started to make his way over towards us. I internally groaned as Nixon walked up to the group.

"So, this is Nixon; he'll be in charge in here along with Logan when the fighting starts. Follow his orders as you would mine if anything happens," Anna said.