Day 14: Why We Fear The Dark

Why do humans fear the dark? Some say it's because humans developed the fear to keep themselves hidden from predators lurking in the shadows. Others say it is simply connected to the fear of what we cannot see. I know the truth.

Humans fear the dark for one reason, and one only. The Entia Tenebris. Beings of darkness. They are creatures of the night, made of shadow and evil. Trolls, goblins, faeries. Countless creatures that lurked in the shadows in ages past. Until they all vanished one day, leaving us with our fear of the dark. But they are returning. 

Which is why I write this letter to you. To send you a warning. Leave civilization, get as far away as you can. Bring as much light with you as you can. The Entia Tenebris cannot exist where there is light. Never let the dark touch you. That's how they catch you. They will whisper to you, try to trick you into stepping into the dark. Never listen.

I have studied the Entia Tenebris for years. I made a horrible mistake. I was on the edge of a great discovery. After studying myths and legends for decades I thought I knew enough to keep them back, to trap them. My pride was my downfall. Following all the clues, the hints, I found out what happened to the Entia Tenebris. I will relate it to you, in case perhaps someday you can fix my mistake.

Long ago, the Entia Tenebris roamed freely, killing indiscriminately. It was a miracle they hadn't eradicated all other life on the planet. But then they met a species that could beat them. Humans. Humans had harnessed the power of light to keep themselves protected, even in the night.

This enraged the Entia Tenebris, and they vowed to wipe humankind from the face of the Earth. But the Entia Tenebris soon discovered humans are smarter than any other creature. They found ways to fight the Entia Tenebris with light. Some called it magic, but it was a form of lost science. People were able to manipulate the very fabric of the universe itself, using it to fight against the Entia Tenebris.

After centuries of fighting the Entia Tenebris, humans had enough. They devised a trap to confine the remaining Entia Tenebris. After much fighting and spilled blood, our ancestors managed to confine the Entia Tenebris in a tomb from which they could not escape. Until I came along.

In my studies, I found the location of the tomb of the Entia Tenebris. My curiosity was out of control. I could not resist. So I went to the tomb, and I opened it. The Entia Tenebris tricked me into turning off my lights, and that was when they struck. They stampeded out, every being of darkness escaping back into the world. I am so very sorry I have doomed humanity. My only hope remains in you, and I pray you will be able to rediscover the so-called magic and use it to defeat the Entia Tenebris. Good luck, and until we meet again, I love you, my son.