Day 15: Something Behind You

"There's something behind you." The four words everyone dreads. The hairs on the back of my neck stuck straight up, sending a shiver down my neck.

"Don't look now." My best friend said, trying to keep both of our levels of panic down. "But whatever it is seems to be waiting for you to move."

"How the heck am I supposed to get rid of it if I can't move," I growled through clenched teeth.

"I don't know man, but don't look at it." My best friend said shakily.

I can't die without seeing whatever is behind me. I thought. Not wanting to wait another precious second, I whipped around to look at the creature.

The creature was tall and skinny, with freakishly thin limbs and a pale, narrow head. The thing walked on four limbs, the front two looking like mutated human arms. It had an almost humanlike face and it grinned evilly at us, revealing large, rotted teeth. Its eyes were sickly yellow and there was no hair to speak of on its depraved body. A strange chattering sound like a thousand teeth in a bowl came gruesomely from its mouth.

"What are you waiting for, RUN!" I shouted. We took off running. I didn't dare look behind me, not again. I listened for any sound of pursuit, but the woods were unnervingly quiet. After running for a solid ten minutes, we stopped and caught our breath.

"What in the world was that?" My best friend said, his eyes wide as platters.

"I have no clue, but I don't want to find out," I said. "Let's keep going. I think we lost it but I want to get out of these woods."

We set out walking toward the road. I couldn't shake the feeling that the monster was still stalking us, staying just out of view. As we reached the road, I heard the shuffling of leaves behind us. As I turned around to look, I found myself suddenly lifted into the air.

The creature held me up, examining me like a toddler would a snack. It made the creepy chattering sound filling the surrounding woods with the horrific noise. The beast moved me closer to its widening mouth. The last thing I saw was the pitch-black inside of its mouth, the rotted teeth closing around me.