Day 26: Time Loop

The creatures converged on me, drowning me in a sea of fur, scales, claws, and teeth. I felt every inch of my body torn apart in an instant. And then I woke up. Again. My name is Charles Gunnar, and I'm stuck repeating the last day of my life.

It all started maybe a few decades ago. I honestly couldn't tell you, I've been doing this for so long. I lost track after the first couple of years. I'd woken up on a day just like any other, except it wasn't. The first part of that day had started out normal enough. I'd gotten dressed, gone to work, and started my lunch break. But that's where things went weird.

I had noticed someone staring at me out of the corner of my eye. I was eating lunch out in the courtyard at work. The shadowy figure stared intensely at me, never even blinking. As I'd turned to ask the figure what the heck his deal was, he'd disappeared. Vanished into thin air. I figured he must have just been very spooked.

As I'd continued with work, I continued to notice strange things. My desk was more cluttered than usual, many of my coworkers were home, sick. The whole thing just felt off. I was on my way home when the horde first attacked. I was waiting at a stoplight when the shadows around my car solidified.

The shadows morphed and changed into strange and hideous hordes of creatures. That first time I wasn't able to do much as they devoured me, ending my life for the first time. And then, just like that, I was waking up in my bed. I brushed it off as a very realistic dream, my mind trying to rationalize. But by the third time, I realized more or less what was happening.

To sum it up, I am stuck in an infinite time loop, being chased by a horde of otherworldly creatures. No matter what I did differently, they always find me. Even when I've booked flights to the other side of the world, they followed. So instead of trying to run, I started to learn to fight. I studied everything I could learn about fighting from the internet and became a master at Kung Fu, Karate, Tai Quon Do, Jujitzu, and a dozen or so other martial arts. Every time the day restarted, I was able to take more of the creatures down with me. Until now. Today is the day everything changed.

Finally, I destroyed the horde. I killed every last fiend, creature, and beast. As the last body fell at my feet, the air filled with a booming voice.

"We have found our champion!"