Day 23: Children Singing

It was a late autumn evening as the man strolled through the graveyard. A slightly chilled breeze drifted through the lazy twilight hours. Next to the graveyard sat the remains of an old school, long since abandoned. The last golden rays of sunshine shone through the red and yellow leaves above him.

As the man glided between the graves, a strange melody reached his ears. He looked around to try and find the source, but he was all alone.

Ring around the Rosie,

Pocket full of posies

Ashes, Ashes,

We all fall down!

The man again searched around him for whoever was singing. It sounded like little children. "Who's there?" He hollered. "Where are you?" The singing continued, ignoring his cries.

The King has sent his daughter,

To fetch a pail of water,

Ashes, Ashes,

We all fall down!

The singing grew steadily louder.

The robin on the steeple,

Is singing to the people,

Ashes, Ashes,

We all fall down!

The voices were now nearly screaming the song. The man looked around wildly trying to find the source. Surrounding him were small, dark shadows, vaguely shaped like children. A thick mist covered the ground, hiding the graves.

The wedding bells are ringing

The boys and girls are singing

Ashes, Ashes,

We all fall down!!!

As the last words reached the man, sheer terror shot down his spine. Not knowing what else to do, he took off running. He ran and ran and ran. His feet flew beneath him. He didn't stop until he was safely inside his own home.

"What in heaven's name was that?" He wondered aloud. "Certainly something from the very pits of the underworld."