Dec. 7th: The lonely ghost (pt. 1)

"You're crazy! Why do you want to go into a haunted mansion in the middle of the night?"

Tess snickered.

"Awe. Are you scared, Nessa?"

"Stop calling me that," I muttered, feeling quite anxious about what we were about to do, as we climbed through the fence to get into what used to be a small hotell. After it closed down, it had been bought by a ridiculously rich man who made it into a beautiful Victorian mansion, and used to invite children from all over the country to come and play in his garden. And it was a huge garden too, that now was so overgrown that you could barely see the old carousel in the middle of it.

"Fine. Vanessa. But you're coming with us no matter what you say."

TJ grabbed my hand and gave me a reassuring smile. But it didn't help much, since just being outside in the dark was terrifying enough for me.

"It's gonna be fine, V. I'll keep you safe. Besides, a ghost can't hurt anybody."

"You don't know that!" I whisper-yelled, and stumbled after him through the vegetation on our way to the house. The man who used to live there had been loved by everyone, until someone set out evil rumors about him. Rumors that made him close off his garden with tall fences, and withdraw into a lonely life. And he lived all by himself in the huge mansion until he died only fifty years old.

"Stop whining! Nothing bad's gonna happen. I just wanna see how it looks like from the inside."

"And you couldn't do that in daylight?"

Tess turned to me and put her hand strategically on her hip.

"As the matter of fact I can't, because you and I both know that it's closed down for all trespassers. And in broad daylight, people would see us and get us kicked out."

"Maybe we should take the hint since the sign told us to get off the property, then."

But of course, neither of them listened to me. And only a couple of minutes later, we had snuck in through a broken window, and stood in the hallway to one of the most stunning and scary houses I'd ever been in. Of course, it was in the middle of the night and almost completely dark, but I could still see the contours of old furniture, paintings and ornaments of carved wood. Huge windows were embellished with unknown colored, heavy velvet drapes, and the places the drapes were either torn down partially or entirely gone, I could see beautiful structures on the frame around the windows.

"Gosh. I wonder how it looked when people lived here," I whispered.

"Probably amazing," Tess said. "Just look at this place."

She picked up a couple of broken pieces of what probably had been a porcelain vase, and tried to puzzle them together, then started coughing.

"I think it's in serious need of some dusting and cleaning," TJ said, and snickered. Then he sat down in the antique Chesterfield couch. But the second after, he jolted up with a groan.

"Fuck, that hurt!"

"W-what hurt?" I stuttered, suddenly feeling extremely anxious again. But TJ just grumbled.

"Fucking spring or nail or something. I'm gonna file a complaint against the owner."

Tess giggled.