Dec. 24th: A strange gift

Author's note: I suggest you skip this imagine if you haven't read 'Someone in the dark'.

****************************************

"Lisa?"

"Living room!" I shouted from the couch, and smiled when I saw my husband peeking in from the hallway. His dark curls were disheveled and his cheeks were rosy because of the strong wind outside, but the weather forecast said that it would get better during the night. I just hoped they were right.

"How was work?"

He shrugged. After we escaped from the Silver Fox mansion, we'd moved across the country, trying to get as far away from that place as possible. And when we found out that I got pregnant after we made love in front of the mansion, which eventually killed the evil that had possessed the place, we bought a small house right outside Carson city, Nevada, and settled down. I got a job at the library, and Michael started working at the cemetery at the local church, and made sure that the people who got buried, got a proper closure of their life. Usually people were more likely to listen when things were still fresh in mind. So if the deceased had an important message to share with his or her loved ones, then Michael helped them. It was different with things that had happened years ago, where the former spouse had moved on, and either got frightened or angry if Michael wanted to talk to them. So he tried to ignore most of the old souls, and instead focused on what happened here and now.

"Still the same, huh?"

"Yeah," he said and sighed.

"Why don't you quit and find something else to do?"

"I don't have any education, baby. It's not that easy. Besides, he'll leave me alone eventually."

"He's a ghost, Michael. Same as you. And he'll keep going to the end of time if..."

"I'm partially a ghost," he corrected before I could finish, as if I didn't know. So I just sucked on my cheeks and looked at him.

"Alright, partially a ghost then. But he will probably haunt people forever until someone helps him. What does he even want?"

"To talk to his family and tell them that he didn't do what they think he did," he said sadly.
"But I can't do that. I already tried to contact his wife, but she almost hit me when I started talking about her husband."

Then he looked around in the room.

"Where's Millie?"

"In her room. She's doing it again."

"The same motive?"

I nodded. For some reason, our daughter was obsessed with drawing houses. But it wasn't just lots of different houses, it was the same one over and over. And it always made me feel a bit uneasy every time she proudly came to show me. She did draw stick people and strange animals too, mostly dogs, but I guess it was normal for a four year old to draw something she knew how to, which in her case was that damn house.

"Hopefully it'll get better when she starts preschool. That'll get her mind on something else."

I looked thoughtfully at the piano next to the balcony door, and for a brief moment I thought about the first time we met. 'Little Susie' was a song we rarely played anymore. And even though it was kinda sad, since it was a beautiful song, it just brought up too many memories of things we tried to forget.

"I hope you're right," I said eventually. But Michael picked up on my gloomy mood, and pulled me up from the couch to give me a hug. Then he kissed my cheek.

"You worry too much, baby."

"Easy for you to say when Millie starts talking to people I can't see. She did it again this morning."