Dec. 25th: The Firefighter - Epilogue

Author's note: I suggest you skip this imagine if you haven't read 'The Firefighter'.

**********************************

"No."

"But that's not fair!"

"Yes, it is. I'm your dad, and my job is to protect you from danger."

Kensie had turned seventeen and had started dating, and I didn't like it. At all. Especially that boy she was hanging out with. He had a tattoo and an eyebrow piercing, and was probably doing drugs and raping girls in the weekends.

"But I already told you! Liam is a great guy and really, really nice. And he's such a gentleman, holding the doors for me and pulling out my chair. He's not like other guys that only goes after one th..."

"You don't know how he is when he ends up drunk at a party! A lot of things can happen then!" I yelled. Then I felt bad for raising my voice at her.

"But I already know how he is when he's drunk! He's adorable. And he still does his best tr..."

"So he's drinking on a regular basis?! I swear I will not allow you to go out on a date with a boy that clearly has alcohol problems."

Kensie scoffed and stomped her foot, just like she used to do when she was a little girl. I missed that time. Because the thought of her growing up was almost unbearable.

"He hasn't got alcohol problems, dad!"

"Drug problems, then," I muttered and squinted at her.

"Stop it, you two! You're scaring Kiera."

Leila was holding our little two year old on her arm, and she was right. She did look scared. Almost as scared as she was when she came here for the first time when she was a little over a year old. My heart bled for her when she was placed in my arms and I heard her cry. But she'd calmed down when I started singing to her. And when I saw her smile for the first time, I almost ripped the adoption papers out of the counselor's hand, so I could sign. We were now a family of six, and I still looked at Kensie as the little girl she was when she spent her first night in my apartment, scared and lonely without her mother. And now she was almost eighteen, and I was just not ready!

"She's right, Michael. Liam is a fine, young man, and he really does treat Kensie well."

"Thank you!" Kensie exclaimed, and scowled at me.

"His parents are really nice, too. His dad is a doctor and his mother is a secretary at the hospital, and they do a lot of charity work for the children there."

I took a deep breath to calm myself, and sucked on my cheeks.

"Charity work, huh?"

"Mhm."

"For children?"

"Yes. Kids with cancer, skeletal deformities, severe allergies and lots of other chronic illnesses. They've even raised a small fund."

I looked at Leila, who was completely calm about sending her daughter out on her own. And no, I didn't count the skinny boy who was drooling all over her!

"So you're taking her side now?" I muttered, and tried to ignore the triumphant smirk on Kensie's face.

"I'm not taking anybody's side. I'm just saying that Liam is both reliable and reasonable, and you need to relax."

"Thanks, mom. I was starting to believe that he was going to bribe me with ice-cream again. He just doesn't get that I'm an adult now."

"Almost an adult! I still have a lot to say ab..."