Dec. 8th: The lonely ghost (pt. 2)

"Don't worry. It's not locked. You can leave if you want to."

The panic was pumping through my veins, almost tearing my blood vessels apart from pure anxiety. But the sound of the voice was nothing of what I expected it to be. It was actually the softest voice I'd ever heard. A little high-pitched, and clearly the source of the laughter we'd heard earlier.

"W-what did you do to my friends?" I managed to say, with a crackled voice that broke for each word.

"Nothing. They're unharmed."

I looked around, trying to see the person I was talking to, but I saw no one. Only the desk that the candle was standing on. Then I saw a chair, and a bunch of papers that looked like music notes, neatly stacked next to an old lamp. But since there was no electricity in the house, it was no use to try and turn it on. I could also vaguely make out the shadows of a huge shelf with what had to be hundreds of old books.

"Is..." I started, but involuntarily swallowed and coughed.

"Pardon?"

The soft voice was closer now, and I felt the presence of someone standing behind me.

"Is this..." I swallowed again, with all my senses on high alert.
"...your office?" I eventually managed to finish, and walked closer to the light to seek comfort.

"It is."

"So that means that you are..."

Another wave of panic gripped around my chest.

"Michael Jackson, yes."

I felt him come closer, and I heard a silent humming when I felt my hair got pulled a bit to the side.

"You're very beautiful," he said, and I let out a silent, shivering breath.

"But... You're dead...?"

I wasn't sure if it was a question or not, because I knew the owner of this mansion died almost one hundred years ago. This had to be some sort of mean prank. But how could I feel the touch of a hand on my shoulder when I didn't see anyone? How could I feel someone's fingertips brush lightly down my arm to my elbow, when there was nobody there? And how could I smell the scent of a man right next to me, when all I could see was the empty air around me?

"Don't be scared," he whispered, and I could feel the softness of a palm against my cheek. And without thinking at all, I instinctively leaned against it, wanting to keep it there as comfort in these terrifying surroundings.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, Vanessa."

"How do you know my name?" I whispered, finally daring to breathe again. But my breath hitched in my throat, when I felt a thumb brush over my lips agonizingly slow. Then the hand disappeared, and I could hear him walk around me.

"I heard your friends calling you that."

He chuckled, the same light laughter as before, and I started to relax a bit.

"You guys weren't exactly quiet when you came here."

I wanted to apologize, but when I felt a pair of arms sneak around me from the behind, I struggled to breathe again. But I didn't feel scared anymore, just stunned to be in the presence of this invisible man. And now he hugged me. It was only lightly at first, but when he noticed I was calm, he hugged me tighter, and I could feel his whole torso and arms like a shield against all evil. I felt his chin resting on my shoulder, and heard him inhale into my hair. Then he suddenly let me go.