9

After class, Jason gathered his things as Joy approached.

"Who was that?" she asked.

"What?" he replied, caught off guard.

"The girl," said Joy. "Who was she?"

"Joy, we tried dating. Remember, it didn't work," he said. "It was more like we were siblings than romantic interest."

Joy folded her arms and glared at him, "She looked like you found her in a homeless shelter."

He chuckled, "Something like that."

She snorted, her derision obvious.

"Look," said Jason, "not everyone has a trust fund to fall back on. She's a dancer and she wants to be a student here, then join the company. I'm helping her out."

Joy wasn't satisfied, "You're helping her like you help all the girls?"

He shook his head, "It's not like that."

"It's never like that... until it is, right?"

"First you were slamming her. Now you're defending her?" He was baffled at the quick turn of events, "What did I ever do to you?"

Her jaw dropped open and she spun on her heels to storm off, leaving Jason to watch her go. He shook his head as he grabbed a hoodie and put it on.

"Jeez," he mumbled to himself. "There must be some girl code or something I don't know about." He threw his bag over his shoulder and made his way out of the classroom.

***