32

After the showcase, the school held a small reception in the main lobby. It was standing room only as proud parents hugged their children as they appeared from backstage and faculty congratulated the dancers on their performances. Lidia and the Director stood off in a corner looking over a list of names while José mingled with parents of other dancers.

Each time a new set of dancers arrived, a small trickle of applause followed their entry. Joy and Markus found their way to the reception and were met with polite clapping. Joy found her parents and was met with hugs and congratulations. She introduced Markus and the foursome began to chat excitedly. Then Jason emerged, pushing Alex in her wheelchair. As they passed through the crowd, conversations stopped and people stared.

They reached José and he greeted them with a warm embrace. Then the crowd began to applaud. The applause continued and rose in volume. They waved for Joy and Markus to join them and when the four were together the crowd began to hoot and whistle. After what felt like an eternity to Alex, the attention died down and families returned to their own conversations. Joy and Markus faded off into the crowd and Alex, Jason, and José were left to themselves.

"I'm so proud of you both," José exclaimed, as he placed an arm across his son's shoulders. "You did it. I don't know how you pulled that off, but it was amazing."

Lidia broke free from the Director and rushed to their side, hugging Alex first then Jason.

"That was absolutely beautiful." She tried to keep tears out of her eyes and failed. "Moving."

"It was all Alex," Jason said. "She designed the whole piece."

"It was quite a story."

Alex blushed, "You work with what you have, right?"

Lidia nodded.

"Did the Director like it?"

"He was absolutely blown away," Lidia answered. "He said you remind him of your mother. But I think you just may have some of your father in there with that brilliant choreography."

"Thanks." Alex looked at her feet. Conflicting emotions warred within her. She wanted nothing more than to be like her mother, to honor her. But she knew, in so many ways, that she was her father's daughter. That's why his breakdown hurt so much, she was afraid she would end up like him. But was having such a love that when it vanished you couldn't go on really such a bad thing?

The Director made his way through the crowd until he arrived at their small gathering. He spoke to the dancers. "That was quite a performance from you two tonight."

Jason smiled.

"Thank you," said Alex, as she looked up at the new voice.

The Director looked at her. "I understand that your injury is not permanent?"

"They say I'll never dance again."

"My dear, you just did," he said with great pride. "Auditions for the school are still a months away. There's time."

Alex's heart swelled as he complimented her. He thought she was still able enough to audition. And maybe she was, who knew? "I just wanted to show you what I was capable of."

"Well, you did that. What perhaps you are unaware of is that at this showcase we sometimes find promising students who may not go on to become professional ballet dancers. But they show a certain aptitude for another area of professional dance like artistic design or choreography." He looked at her with tremendous seriousness. "And we sometimes offer those students apprenticeships here in those areas."

"But I'm not a student."

"No, you're not."

"But, we do need a choreography apprentice."

Shock, excitement, awe and fear all play across Alex's face at the same time.

"Are you serious?" she asked through a tightening throat.

He nodded. "I know your father was excellent at it, as I'm sure you will be. If you accept."

"Yes, of course," Alex blurted out. "I... Thank you. But I don't think I can accept." Her expression of joy turned to one of contemplation. "I don't belong here. Not right now."

The Director was shocked, "After all your work to get in?"

"I just don't feel like this is home." She looked at Jason, "I think I'm going to go run my parents' dance school. Back in Hot Springs."

Jason smiled broadly, crouched down and wrapped his arms around her. He whispered in her ear, "I'm coming with you," he said. "But first, I've got some unfinished business."

"I understand," the Director said. He turned to Jason and slapped him on the shoulder. "And you young man. I knew there was a beautiful dancer in there just waiting to come out." Then he disappeared into the crowd, mingling with other families.

"Waiting to come out," Jason mumbled to himself as he stood and turned to his parents, summoning every bit of courage in him.

José spoke first, "What was that poem you recited in the beginning of the performance?"

"Yeah, who wrote that?" Lidia chimed in.

"I did."

"It was powerful," said José. "Passionate."

Jason nodded.

"So was your dancing tonight," Lidia added. "I've never seen you dance like that."

"I never had a reason to," said Jason. "Though...I don't really want to be a professional dancer."

José smiled, "About time."

"What?"

"It's about time," he repeated. "You stayed in this program so long I was afraid you were going to try to convince yourself that you wanted to be a ballerino."

Lidia smiled too. "We could tell you'd grown out of it."

"Then why'd you make me do it?"

"We never made you," she said. "You never asked to do anything else."

"I was afraid of letting you down."

"The only way you'd let us down is if you never figured out what you really wanted," said José.

"I want to write," Jason blurted out. "Poetry."

José laughed, "You're joking."

Jason shook his head.

"Looks like you'll be living at home for a long time." He wrapped his son in a great hug.

"I don't think so," Jason said. "I might be moving to Hot Springs." He smiled at Alex, "Become a Southern Poet Extraordinaire."

Lidia hugged her son fiercely, "Well that poem tonight was a good start."

***