Chapter 7

Authors note: short chapter alert!

     Monday finished off uneventful, just the way I liked it. Tuesday and Wednesday also seemed to be going in that direction and I couldn't have been any more ecstatic about it.
   New places, new spaces, new faces. I've heard something like that once. There used to be so much excitement in my heart but now things like this weighed it down. New places? Eh, not so much new but better than being at home. New spaces? Yeah, I enjoy my new space, I just hope I can keep it. New faces? Let's... let's just not go there. The mere thought of new faces was something that I could not even begin to wrap my mind around. Yes, I am open to new friendships but how is that even possible for someone like me? Even being cordial to new professors and classmates was enough to make me go into cardiac arrest at times. If only I could get a hold of these damn nerves.
     I decided this Wednesday would be a perfect day to get out and walk around... on my own.
     Walking around the still unpacked boxes in my room I headed out hoping this new found motivation wouldn't dim any time soon. As I started downtown, I put my headphones in. This bravado only goes so far, I maybe out on my own but I still wasn't ready to mingle. Luckily our dorm rooms were near everything and I got to my destination in under five minutes.
     Listening to the clip, clop of my sandals I came to a stop near a bench separating the sand from the sidewalk. I stood there and took in my surroundings, proud of myself in my decision to come out today.
     This part of downtown was blocked off to traffic. There was a big park behind me which consisted of a dog park, a kiddie park, showers, bathrooms and picnic tables. If you kept on going there was shops, restaurants, and takeout places all lined up facing the ocean. To my right was a small beach area of sand, random tables and volleyball nets. Further out, there were docks of boats and bait shops.
     Sometimes I like to sit back, watch, and observe. People will show you who they really are without saying a word. So that was what I did. My intentions were to walk around maybe even go for a jog. Instead, I found myself walking in the sand to the edge of the water. I took a seat on the wet sand half facing the water and half facing the parks.
     There were so many people out today. Summer was still in full swing and today was a beautiful day. Hott but beautiful.
     I let the waves of ocean water lap over my feet as I watched some kids throw a football back in forth to each other in the water. I got so enthralled I found myself laughing when they laughed and flinch whenever the ball almost hit one of them.
     My attention turned towards a little girl about two years old. She was trying her hardest to build a sandcastle. I felt a small smile stretch across my face as I observed her. There was something so calming about watching a child at play. This little girl had so much determination in her eyes it was captivating. Every time she dumped over her bucket the sand would spill out and she got angry... yet curious. She didn't give up. She tried again and again and again. Every time she would try a different tactic until she asked her mom for help. Together they put together the right sand to water ratio and eventually started building.
     I couldn't look away. I was in complete awe. If only I could bottle up her childlike wonder. There was so much determination, curiosity, gratitude, and fearlessness in her little face. She worked harder for what she wanted and even though she had to ask for help, she never gave up.
    If that wasn't enough to put some fire in my soul I don't know what would.