o n e

Brookie - //The Hunger Games//
A/N - Hi, this is my 2nd book now, so still please don't judge my spelling or grammar mistakes, you can comment to give feedback through comments, and vote on what you like! ☺️☺️ Now here is  Chapter 1!

Chapter 1

·Katniss POV·

Gale started working at the mines because he didn't want to accept the money I was offering his family. The least I could do was hunt with him on Sundays. But it wasn't the same as the Gale and Katniss time like the old days, Brooklyn started coming more and more often. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against her, it's just she has been spending a lot of time with Gale recently. A sharp snap returns me back to reality as I pull out an arrow, load my bow with it, spin on my heels ready to attack. Put then I put my bow down realising it was Gale.

"Relax, it's just me" Gale says in an unreadable voice. Lately Gale has just been so emotionless, so different. I think I know why, so I get straight to the point.

"Gale how many times do I have to tell you, it was an act. I did it to survive!" I described to him for like the 100th time.

"Yeah well then you ́re a very good actor, cause you sure convinced me." It kills me to think of the thought of losing Gale just because of an act I did to get back to him and my family.

"Look Peeta and I are just friends, who acted to make our way out of that arena alive. What do you not understand about that?" I did not want to tell Gale about the fact that Peeta actually does love me, and I just don't love him back in the same way. That would make Gale even more mad at me.

"I do understand. Its just I don't think it's right." Just as those words escaped Gales mouth, I could not respond because suddenly, we could hear a few footsteps approaching us.

"Hey, Gale. Katniss" Brooklyn said.

"Cheese, Brookie you scared us!" Gale laughed. Is it just me or did he just cheer up at the presence of Brooklyn.

"Cheese, really is that the best ya' got?!" Brooklyn chuckled.

"Um also, Brookie, that's new." I said noticing the new nickname. Gale called Brooklyn. First Brooklyn to Brooke. Now from Brooke to Brookie.

"Yeah it's not really new. Whilst you were in the arena I stopped off at the bakery, and saw Brookie admiring a few sweet treats. We stopped off at the Hob and had some extra money, I guess we were thinking the same thing. Anyways, Brooke here," Gale said gesturing to Brooklyn, "Brooke here, could not choose between a brownie or a cookie. So I suggested a Brookie." Gale explained.

"Get it Brownie and a Cookie, Brookie." Brooklyn said then bursting out into laughter, soon triggering Gales laughter. I have not heard him laugh since the day of the reaping last year. And now when I do, its because of a story which was told by 'Brookie' whilst I was in the arena trying to survive.  I start to get the feeling that Brooklyn has replaced me whilst I was temporarily gone. That Gale has moved on from me. And moved onto 'Brookie'.

My train of thoughts has now stopped as Brooklyn and Gale's laughter dies down and Brooke spoke up, "But on a serious note, Gale, your mother wants you home in time to watch the 75th Quarter Quell announcement.

"Look Katniss, I'll believe what I feel is true, now I've gotta go." Gale told me bluntly, without even looking at me to make eye contact. Really? No Catnip? So Brooklyn gets a chuckled "Brookie". But all I get is a "bye Katniss" which sounded like he was depressed. Gale started walking back to the Seam with Brooklyn. Whilst I walked in the opposite direction to go to my house in Victors Village.

When I got back home, I sat down in the living room of my house on the sofa, with Mum and Prim, we were forced to watch this event. I really wonder what crazy, messed up change they will make to the Games this year.

President Snow started to make his speech "On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the last victors close ones, will enter their name 2 times more than necessary." This means that since Gale is immune and works, Brooklyn will have her names in 84 times! And Prim has it in 4 times.

So this was Chapter 1 🙃 Please don't hate, and thanks for reading! 🌵