Permission II

Ivar had been particularly distant with you. He stayed away always with his brothers or that damn blacksmith. And it was supposed to be a punishment, you were sure. But this wasn't a punishment. You were fine with his distance. You'd taken to training with Hvitserk. You wanted to learn how to properly fight.

Hvitserk started with you easy. He swung the wooden sword down at your shield and immediately you jumped down. Your feet landed hard and you blocked him. "Look at you." He smiled. Hvitserk's smile was infectious.

You brandished a smile and stood beside him. "I have been practicing."

"It seems you have time on your hands."

"I do." You chose not to elaborate on the matters at hand. Everyone knew Ivar the Boneless was known to have mood swings. This was just lasting longer than you normal.

"He will come around." Hvitserk said.

The training was over. The huge drops of rain hit the sand and you ran back to the hall, with Hvitserk in tow. "Tomorrow," Hvitserk dropped his sword in the corner. "at dawn we start balance training. Your left foot needs some work."

"Sure thing." You returned the smile and parted ways. He sat with Sigurd and Ubbe at the table closest to the throne.

You made your way to Ivar. The snare on his face however was directed to his older brother as he took his seat and paid no mind to the scowl from the king. Hvitserk never really paid him any attention, it bothered Ivar. "How did your training go?"

"It went well." You kissed his cheek and to your surprise he took your hand and kissed it. "I missed you watching me..."

"I will train you one day." He said simply. "Tonight actually."

"Tonight?"

"Yes. Tonight." Ivar laughed and he rolled his eyes. "I think you need a good session to help you with your... balance."

"Hvitserk is a good trainer." You whispered. "I swear it was only training."

"Y/N, if I thought it was anything else I would have hung him upside down from the post already. Calm yourself. It is just training." Ivar slid the plate full of vegetables to you. "Eat your food, I am sure you are worn out."

"Thank you."

The festivities in the hall went into early morning and like always there were the brothers, still at the table. They told animated stories of their raids and the gods. But this time they were all drunk, the mead had taken their affect. Even on Ivar.

"Ubbe, do you remember the night we met the shieldmaiden in Ireland?" He sat perched on the steps in front of his brothers. The hazed smile made you feel warm as he pulled you closer.

"Ahh, I do."

"Remember the game we played with her?"

"I remember you losing." Ubbe gruffed. "As well as you Hvitserk."

"I did not lose, you won because you tried to hard Ubbe. You always have to win."

"I try." He took another gulp of the mead and turned to you. "I do not know if our brother would want his wife to play the game but from what I seen last time... I would like her to be."

"Yes. Yes she will play. Clear the table." Ivar laughed. "Take off your clothes." He whispered to you.

You stirred uncomfortably. "I am tired."

"I did not ask you that." He clenched his teeth. "Get up and shed your clothing." He paused. "Now."

"Ivar, you have loosened up." Sigurd smirked.