Part 8: Racing the Raikage

"I have missions for the two of you." Minato-sensei greeted as we Kakashi and I stood in full gear. Just after my fourteenth birthday Kakashi and I had been promoted to ANBU, just like old times we worked together and taking down enemies with ease. Most of our missions were escorts for important political figures, fuedal lords and such, but we got the occasional retrieval missions for important scrolls and the like. "Missions?" I asked curiously. 'As in more than one mission?' I thought sharing an unsure look with Kakashi. The two of us haven't gone on seperate missions since the war ended. "I think you will be excited to hear that Kushina is with child." I couldn't help the grin on my face. Seeing no one else in the room I removed my mask, my ANBU mask that is. My normal mask, one that Kushina had made me to replace my old one just before her wedding was already resting on my hip. "Congratulations!" I said enthusiastically as Kakashi also removed his mask and nodded along with my sentiment. "Yes. Well Kakashi, your mission is to guard her. Being the Jinchuriki of the Nine Tailed Fox, Kushina is at a unique disadvantage than other mothers. When giving birth the seal will be at its weakest and it would be easy for someone to release the demon inside her. This makes her a target from now until the baby arrives." Minato-sensei explained and I couldn't help but notice the worry lines forming in his brow. "Kakashi, I think you can understand the importance of this mission?" He asked and Kakashi nodded seriously. "Of course, Sensei." He responded and then Minato-sensei moved on to me. "As for you Asa, I have a mission that recently came in as a request from the  Raikage. He needs someone to escort him here from the border in three days." I looked over Kakashi, uneasily. "Hai." We both said and flashed to his apartment. "You be careful out there, all right?" He demanded and I looked him in the eye. "I can handle this. I'm comming home." I assured. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I know. I just don't like this. We are better together." I smiled a little. "Yes we are." 

The next morning I set off to meet the Raikage, having only two days to make a normally five day trip. Kakashi and Kushina had come to see me off, seeing as they are to stay together constantly these days. Kakashi actually allowed me to give him a brief hug before I left. My journey to the border was unsurprisingly exhausted as I had to move at top speed without stop until I made it. When I finally arrived I was happy that I had beat them there, giving myself a few minutes to rest. I had not brought my normal mask with me, only my ANBU issued one. This one being a racoon instead of my normal cat. My hair was braided and pinned tightly on top of my head with two senbon. I two more senbon out of the sides of my boots and slid them into the leather holsters under my sleeves as the sounds of someone approaching became louder. I relaxed only slightly the Raikage and his escorts. I walked out of the shadows to meet them. "Are you my only escort?" He asked in a tone that revealed he felt he was being mocked. "Hai. I have been ordered to reveal my name and rank. Hisakawa Asa. Level: ANBU Rank: S." I spoke mechanically calm. I heard gasps from his escorts. "Konoha's Blue Bolt." The Raikage mused before dismissing his escorts and meeting me on my side. We had barely crossed the border when he turned to me. "I have heard that you have been observed as faster than Konoha's Yellow Flash. Is that true?" He asked, looking me up and down, seeminly unimpressed with my stature. "Yes." I responded shortly. He chuckled. "Is that so? Hm....how about this! To prove it to me why don't you and I have a little race." I looked at him ready to argue before just sighing in defeat, 'He is the Raikage after all'. So right then and there we started, racing full speed ahead towards Konoha. I have to admit it's much harder after doing essentially the same thing just yesterday with no sleep between them. But I pushed on and after only twenty six hours I arrived at the gates of Konohagakure, nearly collapsing in exhaustion. 

"Well, done, Blue Bolt. I never believed someone could outrun not only me but also the Hokage!" The Raikage said patting me on the back as he arrived behind me by almost half an hour. I just tried to stay upright after his not so gentle pat on the back. "Thank you, Raikage-sama." I smiled under my mask and led him to the Hokage's office. We got a lot of strange and disbelieving from villagers and ninja alike. I understood though. It is very rare for Kage to travel away from their villages. This is due to the obvious safety threat on themselves or their villages. However, seeing as tensions are still high from the war, the Raikage is making a statement to come and meet with the new Hokage, who has only been in office post-war just like himself. It's a sign of muchual respect and peace between the village leaders. I held the door for the Raikage as we arrived at the Hokage's office. Inside I counted six ANBU shinobi, counting Kakashi who was standing beside Kushina who is here to show support for her husband. I followed the Raikage in. "Greetings, Lord Hokage." The Raikage bowed and Minato-sensei bowed in response. "Good morning, Lord Raikage, welcome to Konohagakure." It was tense for a few minutes before a friendly smile crossed Minato-sensei's face and friendly nod was made in return. 

"I believe we have been lowered in ranking as far the fastest shinobi alive." The Raikage said as the meeting finished up. Minato-sensei smiled proudly. "Yes, my student seems to have surpassed her master." The Raikage had a fond look across his face, as if remembering something. "Yes, I know the feeling. I remember when my brother first brought me down in a match. Pride and the sudden feeling that you're getting old." He spoke and I smiled while Minato-sensei nodded in agreement. After the Raikage left I made my way to Kakashi's side and layed my head against his shoulder in exhaustion. "Are you okay, Asa-chan?" Kushina asked and I sighed. "I raced all the way there to get this guy with no sleep only for him to declare a fucking race all the way back!" I cursed and Minato-sensei gave me a scolding look but smiled a little when he thought I wasn't looking. "Did you....beat the Raikage in a race?" Kakashi asked in shock and I shrugged. "Yeah. I've beaten Minato-sensei before too, didn't he tell you?" I asked and suddenly Kushina brought her fist down on Minato-sensei's head. "Asa-chan beat you in a race and YOU DIDN'T TELL ANYONE?????"