03. Infected

<Tyler>

I hear the sounds of gunfire before I hear the screams of "Help!" And then before I know it, my whole cell block is now screaming as are my children whilst my husband is yelling for us to get out.
"Tyler?"
"Mommy!"
"Mommy the monsters!" My mind starts rushing; I look from my husband and know his leg isn't weight bearing yet. There's no way to save both him and my boys. I feel my heart stop painfully inside of my chest.
"Go! Antionette, go!" The words are muffled, and its almost as if I'm hearing them from underwater.
I then hear others coming in to the cell block, also yelling. More screaming. I can feel myself trying to dissociate with everything that's going on around me.
"Are you bit?" The words hit my ears and then nothing else matters. I know I have to save my boys, and my body starts moving.
I look at my husband, the love of my life and say, "I love you."
"I know! Go! Now!"
I pick up Aaron in my arms and feel his body is warm with fever. Then I grab my knife and thrust it into Mason's right hand, before taking hold of his other, "I can't help us get out and hold Aaron; Mase, you'll need to." He nods, swallowing hard.
With one last look to my husband I run out of the cell, my boys are my priority as I am met with the sight of nothing but blood and gore, Aaron starts screaming. I see Daryl and Rick rushing in with Glenn and Sasha not far behind. Sasha shoots one of our dead who was right next to my Mason, and I'm desperately trying to pull him and carry Aaron through this madness.
"Get back in your cell!" Daryl yells at me. I stare at him a minute trying to process his words, before he repeats his them, now with more conviction. So I pull Mason and I try to retreat only to see one of the dead; a man I knew, biting chunks out of my husband's face; blood staining the once white sheets below him as the love of my life gurgles out a scream that rings in my ears. Daryl shoots the dead man and then my husband in quick precession with his crossbow, and both of my sons start to scream.
I fall to my knees.
I think I drop Aaron.
I'm being pulled from behind. Then I'm still once more and the sound of a cell door closes behind me.
It can't be long after that that everything seems to go quiet, the cell I'm inside unlocks, and I finally notice my two boys clinging to my sides. Notice them crying. Notice that I am too.
I hear Daryl's voice asking if I'm okay, but I don't have any answer for him. He asks my boys and Mason starts yelling. "You killed him! You just killed him!" I shake my head, and pull him closer to me at the same time.
I start stroking his hair whispering the word, "No" over and over again.