Chapter Two: Ann

This place is definitely a hard place to return to after vacation. A new year, a whole new caseload. At Autistic Children of America (ACA), I work with autistic children and they need stability, why is there so much change in their lives, when its supposed to be stable. Every time you turn around there's a new worker, a new therapist or a new doctor. Somebody new asking these families the same questions over and over again. When are things going to be stable for these families.

Stability comes when the job treats the workers right. When you treat your
workers right, they don't want to quit, they'll stay but that's not happening any time soon at ACA. The workers here are underpaid, vacation time sucks, caseloads are super high and the job is stressful. "How many cases do I have now?" I asked my supervisor. "89, right now," she said as she flipped through a pile of papers on her desk. I went back to my office to start making phone calls to schedule appointments with my new clients. While making my phone calls I thought about Anthony, the guy Derrick from the airport and his boss, I even had a quick thought of my ex-fiancé Michael.

I broke up with Michael, at the end of summer, our relationship was on and off for many years. Michael went to prison a few years back and I stayed by his side, loyal and dedicated to the man who made promises to marry me and make me a happy wife. Michael was very clever, handsome, and knew how to fuck me real good. That boys tongue was golden. Thinking of him had my pussy wet. I made a few more phone calls for the day and sent out several emails before closing my laptop. My cell phone rang, it was Anthony calling. I answered, "hello."

Anthony: hey babe, what's up? How are you doing?
Ann: I'm great, just packing up to leave work. How are you?
Anthony: I'm not doing to good, I miss you, I wish you were here with me so I can taste you.
Ann: oh okay, well Anthony let me get my stuff together so I can get out of here, I will talk with you later.
Anthony: what the fuck is going on, what the hell did I do, why are you treating me like this.
Ann: I'm good, I'll talk to you later, bye!

I hung up the phone and stared at it. "Why is my life this way, I love him so much and I just want a life with him so bad, I want to be with him, why is this happening?" I whispered to myself as I finished packing my laptop and paperwork into my bag. "I have to tell him," I said quietly to herself.

The work week went by so quick, I spoke with Anthony several times throughout the week surprisingly over the phone not just texting like before my trip. I kept our conversations short and just explained to him that I needed time to think. I also received the every morning text from Michael, 'Good morning my gorgeous everystuff, I miss you and love you so much, have a great day.' It's been six months and Michael never missed a day, he sent that message every morning, it changes up from time to time. I talked to him every blue moon, but nothing intimate or sexual, just simple conversations and the conversation ends with him doing plenty of apologizing for the way he treated me.

Surprisingly, I ran into Derrick several times at one of my client's home, his sister's son is autistic and he's one of my clients. Time went by so quick, it's been three months since I've seen Anthony. Anthony message me about coming back to visit him.

Anthony: when are you coming back to Memphis to visit?
Ann: I don't know, it won't be soon.
Anthony: why are you doing this to me, do you still love me?
Ann: yes, I do love you but
Ann: but I can't do this anymore, Anthony
Anthony: please don't bell on me, we promised we would always be friends
Ann: yes and that is what we will be, friends but nothing more. You know what I want in life, you know me better than anyone else, but all we ever will be is friend, lol, with benefits...
Anthony: why would you say that, you mean more to me then that, you know I love you, I wish we could be together all the time.
Ann: but what, what do you got going on there that is more important than what I want right now, what you say you want
Anthony: it's not like that, Baby, I want you, I love you so much, I swear I do, do you believe me?
Ann: yeah I believe you want me, I believe you love me but you want me to visit now and then and to give you pussy when you want it
Ann: you want me to listen to problems and ask no questions. Are you in a relationship with somebody?

There was nothing for 30 minutes, an hour, a day, two days. I cried, I took a few days off work and cried, my heart hurt so bad, why was I not prepare for what I know was possible. I cried for two days. When I returned to work there were beautiful flowers all over my office. I thought to myself why would Anthony send me flowers and not call me or text me. He has sent me flowers in the past but that was when we reconnected after not talking for over two years. But before he sent the flowers we had talked back and forward on Facebook for about a week. I picked up one of the cards and read, "I hope you feel better & keep doing a great job, Derrick!" "Derrick sent me flowers," I spoke out loud. I forgot I did cancel the appointment with his sister and his nephew Wayne yesterday, I told her I was not feeling well and would not be able to see Wayne that day. I guess she told Derrick. I look around at all the flowers and they all were from him.

Derrick was the assistant to one of our own NFL Detroit Lions players, Jamar Jones #32. The guy that bumped into me at the airport was his boss Jamar, I knew he looked familiar just could not figure it out at the time. There was an envelope on my desk with my name written across the front of it 'Ann Myers'. I picked it up and opened it.

Dear Ann,

I hope you feel better and I hope these flowers bring a smile to your beautiful face. Thank you for all the hard work you do with my nephew and all the other children you help. I enclosed 2 tickets to a fundraiser at the stadium in two weeks, I would love for you to come, bring a friend. I can't wait to see you!

A friend, Derrick

I looked at the ticket and they read The Detroit Lions 2020 Seventh Annual Autism Awareness Fundraiser, the cost of one ticket almost made me die, "nine hundred and ninety dollars," I yelled out. "Have he lost his mind," I said when my coworker Amy came into my office and closed the door behind her. I step to the side with my mouth open and hers dropped as she witness the flowers that covered my desk. "What the fuck is this, who did this, and why," "spill the mutherfucking beans, now," Amy said without even taking a breath of air. So Amy and I sat down and I begin to tell her about the airport, Jamar, Derrick and little Wayne who I support through the company.

Her mouth open even wider, "Jamar, bitch, Jamar, really you met Jamar Jones." "Yeah I met Jamar a few times, at the airport and then I met him again at Derrick's sister's house but it's no biggie he's cool," I said as I put my purse in the bottom drawer. "Bitch, fine ass Jamar Jones ran into you at the airport three months ago and I'm just hearing about it now, it's the end of March, that shit happened in January," " and now, you got two tickets to the fundraiser, bitch I'm your plus one, I'm going with you," Amy nodded her head as she looked at the two tickets in her hand.

Amy and I have been friends since high school, we were both freshmen at Mackenzie High School. We've always been cool. She knows almost everything about me. "Why are you just now telling this, I don't understand, I should've been heard about this, out of your mouth and you just telling me this, you met Jamar #32 from the Detroit Lions, over three months ago and I'm just hearing about this, bitch you must be crazy, you should've been introduced us and should have gotten those digits for me what's wrong with you girl," Amy said with frustration. Amy could be real professional but she also had some hood in her too. So I begin to tell her what happened with Anthony and me in Tennessee, I told her the whole thing. I told her how things played out when I got back. I explain everything to her, my feelings toward Anthony and how I saw our relationship now.