Chapter Six: Ann

Brushing my teeth and my phone rung. I really don't want to answer it but knowing Anthony he will send a search party looking for me. I haven't spoke to him in a few days so why not.

Ann: Hello
Anthony: What the fuck is going on?
Ann: What are you talking about, Anthony? Why are you yelling?
Anthony: What the fuck do you mean why am I yelling, I see you all over tv hugged up with some lame ass bitch boy. What's that all about? Are you trying to make me jealous?
Ann: Anthony, I was not thinking about you.
Anthony: So, you dumped me for him, is he the reason you stopped fucking with me? I thought we were friends, I thought you were my best friend. You don't care about me, you don't give a shit about me do you?

Before I could answer, a knock at the bathroom door, "Ann are you okay, is everything okay?" Derrick yelled through the door.

Anthony: So you fucking him, he's staying the night at your house? Put his lame ass on the phone. Ann, why are you giving my pussy to some lame ass? You know what you ain't shit, fuck you then.

He hung up the phone, I opened the bathroom door and asked Derrick if he could please take me home. "What happened, are you okay?" Derrick asked. " I just want to go home please." I held my head down walked out to the deck, looked away from Derrick and cried. I can't believe Anthony said those things to me. All I ever wanted was for us to be a couple a real couple in a real relationship. But all I ever got from him is 'we are best friends'. I needed to cry, I needed to cry alone. The car ride was about 2 hours, Derrick held my hand and kept telling me that everything will be okay, but I shut down and did not talk to him at all. I could not even look him in his eyes. We pulled up to my condo and I jumped out of the car before he even made it to my side of the car. I took my keys out as I walked up the walkway to the door, quickly opened the door and walked it. I slammed the door behind me and locked it, sat there on the floor and cried. I called off work Monday and Tuesday. Derrick tried calling me several times but I did not answer any of his calls. I asked my supervisor for a case transfer for Wayne's case and it was granted. I left work and went home took all my clothes off put my oversized Gap sweater on and climbed straight into bed. Derrick text me.

Derrick: Ann
Derrick: Ann please answer!
Derrick: Ann, I'm not mad about what happened on Sunday, I just want to know that you are doing okay. I need to hear your voice.
Derrick: Ann please call me, I'm super worried and I can't think right when I'm worried.
Derrick: Please, please call me!
Ann: I'm so sorry, things were going really good and I messed it up. Please forgive me Derrick.
Derrick: I'm not worried about that I need to hear your voice, I need to know that you are okay.
Ann: I'm good, thanks but don't be worried.
Derrick: I really care about you, I can't help it.

I stared at the phone for 5 more minutes.

Derrick: Ann are you still there? Please call me.

I called.

Derrick: Ann, are you okay?
Ann: No!
Derrick: Can I come over, so we can talk? Please!
Ann: I don't want you to see me like this, Derrick.
Derrick: Please, Ann I really need to see you.
Ann: Okay!
Derrick: Open the door, I'm at your door.
Ann: What..How..?

I got out of my bed and walked to the door. I knew I looked like holy hell but I didn't care. My eyes were swollen and red, my hair was all over my head, and my breath probably smelled like shit. But I didn't care. Derrick walked in and put his arms around me, "it's okay baby, everything is going to be okay, I'm going to make sure it is," Derrick said to me. I cried and cried and he picked me up and carried me to the couch and held me for hours. "Are you hungry?" Derrick asked. I nodded and realized that I had not eaten anything since the event on Saturday. He made a few phone calls and took me to the bedroom. Derrick washed my face, brushed my hair and pulled it all back into a ponytail. "I'm not leaving you until you feel better, I promise, I'm not going anywhere." Derrick looked me straight in my eye when he said that. He walked with me to the dining room and there were two plates, two glasses of wine, flowers freshly cut tulips and lilies, and the bottle of wine was sitting in ice. I was amazed, shocked, nothing like this ever happens to me. "Derrick, you didn't have too..." I started to say, before he turned me around to face him, he said "baby, I want to take care of you, I want to always see you happy, I want to give you the world, I will do whatever to keep you happy, I want to be your man, I want to be your best friend, I want to show the world you and want to show you the world, do you understand?" I cried and nodded. He pulled my chair out so a can sit, wiped my tears away, kissed my lips softly and pushed me closer to the table. He lifted the top off my plate. Steak, French cut string beans, a baked potato loaded with cheese, sour cream and bacon and a nice side salad. Derrick is amazing, no one has ever done anything like this for me. No man has ever cared enough to do this. Derrick has a big heart, I just hope this is not another best friend situation. The thought made me feel sick, but I didn't want to make Derrick worry so I started to eat and before I knew it all my food on my plate was gone.

I was a little tipsy from the four glasses of wine I drank. "Are you okay, Ann?" Derrick asked. "Yeah, I'm goooood, so gooooood, are you okay?" My words slurred.